EPFO is rapidly overhauling its operations. It has made almost all of its operations online. Now, not only employees but also employers are doing all the EPF related tasks online. Today, employers don’t send any physical papers to the EPFO office. They are doing all their job at employer portal. Some days back, EPFO has revamped the Employers’ portal. It has made the whole process easy for the employers as well as for the EPFO itself. The new Employer portal is made around the UAN. That is why it is also called as the UAN employer portal.
UAN or universal Account number is a unique number given to every EPF member. This number does not change with the change of the job. The EPFO gives all of its services on the basis of thus UAN. Becuase of the UAN, EPF transfer and EPF withdrawal become very easy.
What is UAN Employer Portal
The UAN employer portal is one stop EPF platform for the employers. This portal is the only interface between employer and EPFO. Employers can perform all tasks, from member registration to EPF contribution, through this portal. The EPFO has unified all of its employer-related functions at one place. Hence, this portal is named as the Unified Portal for employers.
New in UAN Employer Portal
- The new UAN employer portal uses UAN Based simplified Electronic Challan cum Return filing system. In this portal, you don’t require to enter the PF member ID, mere UAN would be sufficient.
- With the new UAN employer portal, the employer can make online payments through any of the banks. It has introduced the multi-banking payment system.
- The new unified employer portal gives you a facility to allot UAN upfront to an employee. You don’t need to deposit contribution for allotting UAN. Now ECR is not mandatory for UAN.
- The employer has to link the new PF account with the UAN of an employee before filing an ECR. The UAN can be new or existing.
- The new UAN would not be allotted if the same KYC document (Aadhaar) is linked to another UAN. The employer has to use the existing UAN for enrolment of a new employee.
- The name and personal details of the employee would be fetched from the existing UAN. The employer does not need to fill it. This process ensures that personal details remain same in previous and present PF accounts.
Login To Unified Employer Portal
You should note that EPFO has made a single platform for all the tasks of the employer. Now you don’t need to visit different portals. The new UAN portal for employers is https://unifiedportal-emp.epfindia.gov.in/epfo/.
This portal gives access to the employer as well as the establishment representative. As often employer’s HR department performs all the tasks of EPF. The HR department can login into UAN employer portal through the establishment sign in. You would see the box for establishment sign on the home page.
If an employer wants to sign in, he/she has to click on the employer sign in. The link is given at the bottom of establishment sign in box.
EPFO Employer Registration
To login into the employer UAN portal, you have to be registered at this portal. A new employer can register to EPFO through this portal. You can do it online without any paper work. The registration goes through the following steps.
- Give all the personal and establishment details of employer and company
- Get a digital signature.
- Submit digital signature
- Get PF code number
You can learn more about employer registration from the EPFO manual.
What Can You Do Through the Unified Employer Portal
An employer can do following tasks through the unified employer portal.
UAN generation for fresher employee
As I have told, UAN is necessary for EPF contribution even for the first time. Thus, an employer has to generate UAN for those employees who don’t have it. It would happen with the fresher employee.
Registration of new employee
The employers don’t need to send any physical form to EPFO for the new member registration. Rather, it has to enter all the details of a new employee here in the portal. The new portal has simplified the registration process. Now you need less information to enter. The online registration form fetches many details through the UAN.
Linking of new member to the existing UAN
If you are registering an employee who has been the EPF member, you have to link its new PF account with the existing UAN. This linking ensures the smooth EPF transfer. Note, with the linking of UAN, employer has to use the same personal details which saved in UAN database. If there is any error, employer and employee can rectify it later.
Upload KYC details of members
The EPFO has made it mandatory to give some KYC of the new member. Thus, PAN, bank account number and Aadhaar have now become almost mandatory for new member registration. The employer has to upload these details of the employee. It can be done in bulk as well.
Employees can also upload the scanned copy of their KYC documents directly through the UAN member portal. But, an employer has to approve these documents. This can be done online through the UAN employer portal (unified portal).
Approval of EPF withdrawal
An EPF member still needs an approval of employer in some cases of EPF withdrawal. The employer can give this approval through the new UAN employer portal. It is easy and paperless.
How To Generate UAN for First Time Employee
To generate the UAN for the first-time employee, you have to go through these steps.
- Get the EPF declaration form-11 filled by the employee. You can use this form to enter details online. The physical form minimises the errors.
- Get a copy of the Aadhaar card.
- You have to enter the name of the employee, father’s name, date of birth and date of joining.
- To fill the personal detail of an employee, you must use the Aadhaar copy. It ensures that there would not be any error in name, date of birth, gender and father’s name.
- After submitting this form, the employer would immediately get the UAN for an employee. Along with this upfront allotment of UAN, the new employee gets registered as EPF member. The generated UAN should be used for ECR submission. Now UAN is necessary for ECR. Note, an employee can also generate his/her own UAN. EPFO has gives the UAN generation facility for citizens as well.
How To Link UAN of a New Member
Any new employee who has been the EPF member in the last job should give the UAN to the employer. One can’t avoid it as EPFO checks the KYC details and if the same KYC is discovered, the new UAN would not be issued.
Thus an employer must ask the UAN from such employee. So, if the employee has the UAN, the employer must choose the radio button of previous employment.
It gives you a field to enter the UAN. Once you enter the UAN, the personal details of the employee get populated itself. You can change some details of the employee such as address and mobile number. An employer can also upload any new KYC, if available.
This way of new employee registration links the new employee to the existing UAN. The employer doesn’t need to generate a UAN.
An employer can get help from the EPFO through its toll-free number and helpdesk.
There is a separate helpdesk for the employer. This is an online helpdesk and you put your query any time.
EPFO is also giving you the facility of EPF technical suvidha centres. These centres handholds employer in technicalities of UAN portal.