You can get UAN before getting a job. You can do it online within minutes. This upfront UAN allotment would benefit you in long term. You would not suffer because of the error from an employer. As, you know that every private sector employee becomes part of the EPF. For an EPF account, the UAN or universal account number is necessary.
What is UAN
UAN is a 12 digit number. The EPF managing body, EPFO, allots this number to EPF member. It is an unique number to identify an EPF member. The same UAN works in different jobs. Whereas, the EPF account changes with the job. Thus UAN links all of your EPF account from various jobs.
The UAN facilitates the automatic EPF transfer and online EPF withdrawal. Because of the UAN, now EPF services have become smoother. An EPF member must get his/her UAN as all the communication with EPFO requires UAN.
Features of Upfront UAN Allotment
- Any citizen, even if not a member of EPF, can obtain UAN number online.
- The online registration for new UAN is done by filling a single page form.
- The Form would fetch personal details from the Aadhaar Database.
- There is no need to submit any physical documents.
- The citizen is required to give only few information like KYC, contact and Bank details.
- You would get the UAN number instantly
Why Should You Get UAN Upfront
Do you know the biggest problem of the EPF scheme? No, it is not the EPF withdrawal or PF transfer, It has become smooth after the UAN and Aadhaar linking. The one problem is still bothering EPF members and EPFO could not get a good solution of it. I am talking about the mistakes in personal details. There may be spellings errors in names. The middle name trouble. wrong date of birth and even change of gender. Most of the times, it happen because the clerk of your HR department who has made the errors. But, you have to suffer in the process of name and date of birth change.
- But, with the upfront UAN allotment, there would not be any error in personal details. Because, you would be the person who will enter the personal details. Also, your details will be fetched from the Aadhaar database. Hence, there would not be a scope of error.
- You would have the UAN from the first day of the job. It would be easier for your employer to fetch details from the UAN database. Your employer would use same personal details in the company records.
- You do not need to submit any identity or address proof to your employer. It would be already done during the UAN allotment.
- The employer would not have any hold on your EPF account.
Steps to Get UAN before Getting a Job
Step 1: Go to the EPF unified member portal. You would see a login box in this page. Besides this, you would see a section of ‘Important Links’. In this section click on ‘Online Aadhaar Verified Allotment’
Step 2: In the next screen, you have to enter the Aadhaar number. Note, there are 12 digits in Aadhaar number. Fill them correctly and click on ‘Generate OTP’. On clicking, you would receive an OTP in your mobile. Note, the OTP will go to the mobile number which is registered with Aadhaar.
Step 3: Just enter the OTP and agree for the disclaimer. This disclaimer is a permission to get your personal details from the Aadhaar database. Once, you agree for disclaimer, the submit button would become active. Click on this button.
Step 4: Now you would see the online form for the allotment of UAN. However, most of the fields would be pre-filled. This form fetches your personal details from the Aadhaar database. Check all the details. It should be right and match with your details of the certificates. In this small form, you have to only choose marital status and qualification. Enter captcha and check the box of disclaimer. At the end just click on the ‘Register’ button.
Step 5: On clicking the “Register” button you can see the new UAN in the next page, the EPFO allots the UAN instantly. It is an automated process.
So this is the process of advance UAN allotment. You can do it online. After this you need to activate the UAN. However, You don’t become an EPF member just by getting the UAN. For that you need a job. Meanwhile, you can open a PPF account in SBI or any other bank. It is a safe and good saving scheme.