The employee provident fund account is the retirement saving scheme of the organised sector employee. It is mandatory to become part of this scheme if you get less than Rs 15,000 basic salary. However, companies register all the employees for the EPF account. Once a person becomes the EPF member, he/she has to continue with it till the job lasts.
UAN is the unique number given to every EPF member. This number is attached to the member and does not change with the change of job. Becuase of the UAN, the EPF transfer, withdrawal and KYC update has become very easy. All the UAN based facilities are given to the members through the unified UAN portal. Th
Often, EPF account balance is the biggest saving of an employee. Thus, it is necessary to keep track of EPF account. The UAN passbook fulfills this requirement. This passbook contains all the details of your EPF contribution.
Information In the EPF UAN Passbook
Like any financial statement, the UAN passbook also gives details of credit, debit and balance. You get the following information from this passbook
- PF Member ID
- Personal Details
- Date of joining
- Establishment code
- PF office
- EPF Transfer Details
- Balance of Employee Contribution to EPF account
- Balance of Employer Contribution to EPF account
- Total EPF balance
- Monthly Contribution
- Employers contribution to EPF account
- Employee Contribution to EPF account
- Pension Contribution
How To Download UAN Passbook
You can easily download the EPF passbook from the UAN dashboard. Every member with UAN can access the UAN dashboard through the login into the UAN portal. One time UAN activation is necessary to login.
These are the steps to see and download the EPF passbook.
- Go to the UAN portal, the URL is https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- If you are the first time user, you must activate the UAN.
- To activate the UAN you have to give your UAN and mobile number. During this process, you set a password for UAN portal.
- After the activation, you have to login into the UAN portal using your UAN and password.
- After the login, you reach to the UAN dashboard
- You would see the three tiles. The first one is for ‘view passbook’. Click on it to download the UAN passbook.
- Alternatively, You can also go through the view option of the menu bar and choose the ‘passbook‘ from the dropdown list.
- Now you can see the EPF passbook link. It is the link of PDF file of your UAN passbook. click on it to see it online. You can also download it.
Reading EPF Account Passbook
Details in UAN Passbook
- The first information in the EPF passbook would be your establishment ID and PF member ID. So, you can easily know the PF member ID anytime through this passbook.
- You would see the entry of each month in the passbook. Each row shows the EPF contribution by the employee, EPF contribution by employer and pension contribution. In the above screenshot, you are seeing my statement of the year 2010. At that time pension contribution was limited to ₹541.
- The employer share would be less than the employee share because a part of the employer’s share is used for the pension account.
- The contribution amount does not change unless there is a change in your basic salary.
- The passbook also lists the pension contribution. Earlier this contribution was maximum Rs 541/month. Now it has become maximum Rs 1250/month.
- To get an idea of your retirement saving, you should also check the total balance amount. It is given at the end of passbook.
You can also see the EPF transfer details in the passbook. It would be there among entries. Go through the chronological order to find it out. In my passbook, you can see a transfer entry after August 2013. It was of my old PF account.
The EPF passbook also records the withdrawal details. You can see it after getting the money. It is also a way to check the EPF withdrawal status. You can see the EPF withdrawal amount is given in my case.
Also Read: 6 Easy steps to Withdraw PF Online
Alternative Method of EPF Passbook Download
There is an alternative method to get the latest EPF passbook. The EPFO has provided a page only to download the EPF passbook. You can download the passbook if you are registered member of EPF member portal or UAN portal. This page was working even when UAN portal was down for a long time. This page is designed to only download the EPF passbook.
To download member passbook you have to use the following URL.
- Copy the above URL and paste in your browser’s address bar. Hit enter.
- To get your passbook you have to enter the UAN number and registered mobile number. Note the mobile number would be same which was registered at UAN Member portal.
- Click on login button.
- You would see a button with your EPF account number check it and hit the button.
- You would see your EPF passbook in PDF format. To keep it you have to download into your local computer.
- Chrome users can download it venturing towards the top right corner of the window. The download icon would appear. Click on it to download the passbook.
Benefits of EPF Passbook
Every member of EPF scheme must download the passbook. The tracking of passbook can avoid many problems.
- You would have the idea of EPF account balance, It would help in retirement planning.
- The EPF passbook shows whether your employer is contributing regularly or not. There are many employer which do not submit PF contribution regularly.
- You can know any error in personal details, It becomes very difficult to rectify personal details after leaving the job
- You can also know the status of your EPF transfer application.
- The PF balance is necessary to know the partial EPF withdrawal eligibility.
- You get to know whether your PF balance is earning interest or not.
- You can download your EPF passbook even after leaving the job. I have downloaded my UAN passbook even after withdrawal and no contribution for two years.
So now you know how to download the UAN passbook. I have also told you to decode the EPF account statement. So, don’t delay, go and download the EPF passbook immediately. Now you know the benefit of EPF passbook. If you face any problem in downloading the passbook, you can conatct to EPF helpline.