Do you not know your Universal Account number or UAN? Are you not aware about the status of UAN? Did your employer not tell you the UAN? Get it immediately. The UAN is the first thing you should know if you are contributing into the EPF account.
The UAN is mandatory for EPF withdrawal. The UAN makes the EPF transfer very easy. You can check your PF balance any time using the UAN.
Your employer should give you the universal account number as soon as it gets from the EPFO. You can go and ask to the employer for your UAN. But before going to HR department, please do check the UAN status online from the EPFO portal. (Update) Now you can get your UAN online from the Universal account number Members e-Sewa portal. But before going into the UAN status check you must know about the UAN
What Is UAN (Universal Account Number )
UAN or Universal Account number is an unique number given to every member of Employee Provident Fund Scheme. Unlike PF member ID, the UAN does not change with the change of job. Because of the UAN, the EPF transfer and EPF withdrawal has become very easy. To avail maximum benefit from the UAN you must link your Adhaar number with the UAN.
Know More – UAN or Universal Account Number: Features, Benefits And Registration
Steps To Check The Status Of UAN
Step #1- Visit The Portal Of Universal Account Number
EPFO has a separate portal for the universal account number or PF number portability. It has a separate URL for the EPF members and employers. You can reach the portal through this link – http://uanmembers.epfoservices.in/.
While employers have to go through another link – https://employerclaims.epfoservices.in/
You can get access to these links via the EPFO home page as well.
Step #2 – Go To The UAN Status Check Page
On the next page titled ‘Check UAN Status’, you have to fill the PF number. This is the most crucial part and you should fill your PF number properly.
- Choose the state where your office is registered. Take care, as you may be working in different states. If you are confused, try to get an idea from the first two letters of PF numbers. The first two letters are for the state, such as MH for Maharashtra, DS for Delhi and UP for Uttar Pradesh.
- Choose the PF office region. States may have the several regions. Delhi has 3 and Uttar Pradesh has 9 PF regions. You can trace the region from the next 3 letters of PF number.
- After choosing the state and region the two columns of PF numbers gets filled automatically. Verify it with your PF number.
- Now you should fill the organization number. Every employee in your organization has the same number. It would be the first group of digits in your PF number. It can go up to 7 digits.
- In the fourth column you need to fill the extension. In most of the cases this remains 000. Also, It may not be in your PF number. You can leave it blank.
- Fill your PF number. This is the number which is unique to you in your office. It can be of maximum 7 digits.
Step #4 – Get The Status Of Universal Account Number Of PF
Whether you have been allotted the UAN? Now you can get UAN number online by going through the verification process.
Once you get the UAN, don’t forget to activate it on the UAN portal. The activation of UAN gives you various online facilities.
EPFO became very fast in allotting the UAN. I hope, soon the EPF withdrawal and EPF transfer process would be very easy. All these digital initiative by the EPFO is making the whole operation of employees’ provident fund more efficient and user-friendly.
Also Read: 6 Easy steps to Withdraw PF Online