EPF balance is your retirement corpus in India. You and your employer contribute regularly to build the EPF balance. The Status of your EPF account balance shows the situation of your retirement planning. Thus, it is always good to regularly check your PF balance status.
EPFO has launched many facilities of EPF balance enquiry. In fact, it wants you to keep track of your retirement corpus. So that, you can easily take appropriate, action if required. Indeed, EPF balance may be your only saving for the retirement.
For many of us, EPF is the only regular saving. It is the saving plan which starts from the first day of the job. That is why the government has made the EPF scheme mandatory to those workers who earn less than Rs 15,000 basic salary in a month. You would agree that low earners need more caution for retirement saving.
Till some years back finding out the EPF account status was not an easy task. You had to wait for the annual PF slips to know the PF balance. Old timers would remember this method to know the EPF account check. My company has also given me an EPF slip in 2009. Also, These slips used to tell the EPF balance only till the last financial year. The alternative route went through the regional PF offices.
some years ago, EPFO started to tell the EPF balance through the online mode. It helped a lot. Further, It also presented the EPF passbook to download. Today, you can get EPF balance through the missed call and SMS as well. Now you get the EPF balance till the last contribution. Your EPF account is updated regularly and you can check the current EPF balance.
Now there are 7 methods of EPF balance enquiry. This post would tell you all the methods of EPF balance status check, available in India.
- Get Monthly Update Through the SMS – Register at UAN portal and get EPF account status detail every month
- Download EPF Passbook From UAN Portal – UAN portal gives facility to download EPF account statement
- Download EPF passbook From Member Portal – Member portal also gives link to download passbook
- Give a Missed Call – It is very easy, UAN Registration is mandatory
- Send an SMS to get back PF account status – It is similar to missed call service
- Download EPF mobile App – Many facilities on your mobile
- Check PF balance online – check EPF balance immediately through member passbook download facility
You can use any of these methods to keep track of your retirement saving i. e. EEPF Scheme .
This is the most common method of EPF account status check. Now everyone has the UAN and you you can use this to track your EPF account.
UAN has eased many EPF related tasks. It also helps to get EPF balance status immediately. Universal Account number is a unique number given to the members of employees provident fund (EPF). This number does not change with the change of job. The UAN Member portal gives many facilities to the EPF members. In future, the properly verified UAN will make EPF withdrawal an online affair.
But the biggest benefit of UAN is the regular EPF balance update. Once you activate the UAN, you will receive a monthly SMS about your PF contribution and recent available balance. It is an automated process and you don’t require to go online for PF balance check. Thus, I would recommend to adopt the UAN portal soon. You have to go through the following steps.
- Get UAN from our employer. You can also get UAN online.
- Register UAN at the UAN member portal. It activates the UAN.
- Wait for regular EPF balance SMS. It may take 45 days to get first SMS
Among the various facilities of UAN portal, you can also download the EPF passbook. This passbook has following details of your EPF account
- Your monthly PF contribution
- Employer’s monthly PF contribution
- Employer’s contribution towards employee pension scheme
- Latest EPF balance.
Thus, the passbook of UAN not only tells you the latest PF balance but a whole statement of EPF contribution and balance at the end of every month. It is similar to the bank account statement.
- To get the facility of PF statement inquiry through this mode, you need to first activate UAN account.
- After the activation, you can log into the account anytime. You need to remember UAN number and Password to login.
- Go to the dashboard of EPF portal and download the EPF passbook.
Before UAN portal, the EPF member portal was the way to download the PF passbook. If you want to download the PF passbook. The member portal is easier to operate. It is still useful in certain circumstances.
- If you have forgotten the UAN password or could not login into the UAN portal, the member portal can be useful.
- The member portal does not require any extra information for passbook download. Only you need the PF number.
- To check the PF balance through the Member portal you need to register with it. Registration is simple and requires the detail of any KYC document.
- This portal does not need password to login. The KYC document number and mobile number is enough to login.
- After the login, you can download the PF passbook after giving PF number. A one time password would be sent to your mobile number for authentication.
This Facility is down these days. So You should go for the UAN portal.
This is the easiest method to check the PF account balance. Because you have to only give a missed call to the designated number. Within few minutes, you would receive an SMS. This SMS would tell you about the latest EPF balance. This service is totally free of cost. The number to give missed call is given below. Save it in your address book.
Inquiry Number To Check PF Balance- 011 2290 1406 (Give a Missed Call)
Once you call to the given number the call disconnects after the two rings. Within few minutes you would get an SMS from the EPFO. This SMS would contain following information.
- Your Date Of Birth
- Your UAN
- KYC status
- Last Contribution
- PF balance
This missed call method can be also used to check whether your date of birth is correct in EPF records. If There is any wrong information, you must correct it ASAP
The EPFO has launched the Official Mobile App. The App not only tells the EPF balance but also you can activate UAN through this APP. The employer and pensioners can also use the same app.
The employer can check the transaction status of PF contribution. While pensioners can check their EPF pension status.
You can download this App from the EPFO website. The EPF mobile App is also available at google play store. To check the PF account balance through the app, you have to enter the UAN and registered mobile number. The facility to check PF balance is available to only those members who has activated UAN to the UAN portal. The activation can be also done through this Mobile app.
Instead of Missed call, you can also check the PF account balance by sending an SMS. The message would be similar to the missed call service. But in this service, you have the option to get the EPF account balance in your own language. This service is also useful when you are not able to call from your mobile.
To know the EPF balance through SMS, you have to send an SMS. The SMS is sent in the given format to the specified number.
Format of SMS to check EPF Balance is – EPFOHO UAN ENG
Number to receive SMS of EPF balance – 7738 299 899
It is a separate portal provided by the EPFO to download the member passbook. This page was working even when UAN portal was down for a long time. This page is designed to only download the EPF passbook. By getting the passbook you can easily know the EPF balance and much more.
- Only registered members of EPF member portal and UAN portal would be able to download the passbook.
- Passbook will be available on the next day after registration at Member Portal
To download member passbook you have to use the following URL.
- Copy the above URL and paste in your browser’s address bar. Hit enter.
- To get your passbook you have to enter the UAN number and registered mobile number. Note the mobile number would be same which was registered at UAN Member portal.
- Click on login button.
- You would see a button with your EPF account number check it and hit the button.
- You would see your EPF passbook in PDF format. To keep it you have to download into your local computer.
- Chrome users can download it venturing towards the top right corner of the window. The download icon would appear. Click on it to download the passbook.
Why Should You Check PF Balance Regularly
You should keep a tab on your PF account. It is your valuable retirement saving. This saving can be useful at testing times. You can also take loan against EPF balance. Sometimes, the employer does not deposit the PF remittance. Without the remittance of the employer, your EPF balance would not grow. It may be very difficult to get back this amount if a company shuts down. Thus, it is necessary to know the status of your PF balance.
Is Your PF Balance Less Than Anticipation?
After the PF balance check, you may be surprised of the total amount. It may seem less than your anticipation. These can be the reason of low EPF balance.
- The employer deposits equal amount in your PF account. But his whole contribution does not go for the PF. Rather, 8.33% (maximum Rs 1250)goes into the pension amount. The remaining amount is deposited into the EPF account. There is a fixed formula of EPF contribution rate. Because of the Employee pension scheme deduction, the total EPF balance may seem less.
- Sometimes, We forget that current EPF contribution was not from the beginning. We try to calculate the EPF balance using current contributions. Whereas the PF contribution Would have been very less in previous years. The EPF contribution increases with an increase of salary.
- It is possible that your PF account is not updated till present date. Earlier, EPFO used to tell the end of year balance. However, now EPFO tells the current account status of EPF.
- The partial withdrawal from the EPF account can be also one reason of the low EPF balance. Did you take any loan from your EPF account?
The EPF may be the only retirement saving of you. Therefore, you need to protect it. Check the PF balance regularly. Transfer the EPF with the change of job and don’t try to withdraw unless it is very necessary.
In this post, I have told you about the 7 ways to check the EPF balance status. Among these 7 methods, two methods can be used without the UAN. You can learn in detail about them in my post ‘EPF Status without the UAN’. You can also learn more about the EPF through these articles.