EPF balance is your retirement corpus. You and your employer contributes regularly to build the EPF balance. The Status of your EPF account balance shows the situation of your retirement planning. Thus, it is always good to regularly check your PF balance status.
Employee Provident Fund organisation has launched many facilities of EPF balance enquiry. It wants you to keep track of your retirement corpus. So that, you can easily take appropriate, action if required. In fact, EPF balance may be your only saving for the retirement. For many of us the EPF is only regular saving which starts from the first day of the job. That is why, the government has made the EPF scheme mandatory for those workers who earns less than Rs 15,000 basic salary in a month.
Till some years back finding out the PF account status was not an easy task. You had to wait for the annual PF slips to know the PF balance. The alternative route went through the regional PF office. Few years ago, EPFO started to tell the EPF balance through the online mode. It helped a lot. Further, It also presented the EPF passbook to download. Today, you can get EPF balance through the missed call and SMS as well.
Now it has 7 methods of EPF balance enquiry
- Get Monthly Update Through the SMS – Register at UAN portal and get EPF account status detail every month
- Download EPF Passbook From UAN Portal – UAN portal gives facility to download EPF account statement
- Download EPF passbook From Member Portal – Member portal also gives link to download passbook
- Give a Missed Call – It is very easy, UAN Registration is mandatory
- Send an SMS to get back PF account status – It is similar to missed call service
- Download EPF mobile App – Many facilities on your mobile
- Check PF balance online – check EPF balance immediately
You can use any of these methods to keep track of your retirement saving i. e. Employees Provident Fund. I am giving details of these methods of EPF balance inquiry.
UAN has eased many EPF related tasks. It also helps to get EPF balance status immediately. Universal Account number is a unique number given to the members of employees provident fund (EPF). This number does not change with the change of job. The UAN Member portal gives many facilities to the EPF members. In future, the properly verified UAN will make EPF withdrawal an online affair.
But the biggest benefit of UAN is the regular EPF balance update. Once you activate the UAN, you will receive a monthly SMS about your PF contribution and recent available balance. It is an automated process and you don’t require to go online for PF balance check. Thus, I would recommend to adopt the UAN portal soon.
Among the various facilities of UAN portal, you can also download the EPF passbook. This passbook has following details of your EPF account
- Your monthly PF contribution
- Employer’s monthly PF contribution
- Employer’s contribution towards employee pension scheme
- Latest EPF balance.
Thus, the passbook of UAN not only tells you the latest PF balance but a whole statement of EPF contribution and balance at the end of every month. It is similar to the bank account statement.
To get the facility of PF statement inquiry through this mode, you need to first activate UAN account. After the activation, you can log into the account and download the EPF passbook.
Before UAN portal, the EPF member portal was the way to download the PF passbook. If you want to download the PF passbook. The member portal is easier to operate. It is still useful in certain circumstances.
- If you have forgotten the UAN password or could not login into the UAN portal, the member portal can be useful.
- The member portal does not require any extra information for passbook download. Only you need the PF number.
- To check the PF balance through the Member portal you need to register with it. Registration is simple and requires the detail of any KYC document.
- This portal does not need password to login. The KYC document number and mobile number is enough to login.
- After the login, you can download the PF passbook after giving PF number. A one time password would be sent to your mobile number for authentication.
This is the easiest method to check the PF account balance. Because, you have to only give a missed call to the designated number. Within few minutes, you would receive an SMS. This SMS would tell you about the latest EPF balance. This service is totally free of cost. The number to give missed call is given below. Save it in your address book.
Inquiry Number To Check PF Balance- 011 2290 1406 (Give a Missed Call)
Once you call to the given number the call disconnects after the two rings. Within few minutes you would get an SMS from the EPFO. This SMS would contain following information.
- Your Date Of Birth
- Your UAN
- KYC status
- Last Contribution
- PF balance
This missed call method can be also used to check whether your date of birth is correct in EPF records. If There is any wrong information, you must correct it ASAP
The EPFO has launched the Official Mobile App. The APP not only tells the EPF balance but also you can activate UAN through this APP. The employer and pensioners can also use the same app.
The employer can check the transaction status of PF contribution. While pensioners can check their EPF pension status.
You can download this App from the EPFO website. The EPF mobile App is also available at google play store. To check the PF account balance through the app, you have to enter the UAN and registered mobile number. The facility to check PF balance is available to only those members who has activated UAN to the UAN portal. The activation can be also done through this Mobile app.
Instead of Missed call, you can also check the PF account balance by sending an SMS. The message would be similar to the missed call service. But in this service, you have the option to get the EPF account balance in your own language. This service is also useful when you are not able to call from your mobile.
To know the EPF balance through SMS, you have to send an SMS. The SMS is sent in the given format to the specified number.
Format of SMS to check EPF Balance is – EPFOHO UAN ENG
Number to receive SMS of EPF balance – 7738 299 899
This method of online PF balance check has become redundant. Still, you will see it as the first listing in the google if you search for ‘PF balance check’.
In this method of PF balance inquiry, you give your PF membership detail at ‘Know your PF balance page‘. This page asks only your PF number and mobile number. The PF balance details are sent to your mobile. Through this method, you get to know the employee contribution, employer’s contribution and pension amount separately.
Now This method of PF balance check also provides an updated amount. Earlier It used to tell the end of the financial year balance.
To check the PF balance through this method, you have to follow these steps.
- Select the EPFO office where your account is maintained and give your PF Account number.
- Leave the extension field blank, in case your account does not have one.
- Enter PF account number and mobile number. The given mobile number will be recorded along with the PF Account Number.
- On successful submission of the above information, the details will be sent through SMS to the given mobile number.
Why Should You Check PF Balance Regularly
You should keep a tab on your PF account. It is your valuable retirement saving. This saving can be useful at testing times. You can also take loan against EPF balance. Sometimes, the employer does not deposit the PF remittance. Without the remittance of the employer, your EPF balance would not grow. It may be very difficult to get back this amount if a company shuts down. Thus, it is necessary to know the status of your PF balance.
Is Your PF Balance Less Than Anticipation?
After the PF balance check, you may be surprised of the total amount. It may seem less than your anticipation. These can be the reason of low EPF balance.
- The employer deposits equal amount in your PF account. But his whole contribution does not go for the PF. Rather, 8.33% (maximum Rs 1250)goes into the pension amount. The remaining amount is deposited into the EPF account. There is a fixed formula of EPF contribution rate. Because of the Employee pension scheme deduction, the total EPF balance may seem less.
- Sometimes, We forget that current EPF contribution was not from the beginning. We try to calculate the EPF balance using current contributions. Whereas the PF contribution Would have been very less in previous years. The EPF contribution increases with an increase of salary.
- It is possible that your PF account is not updated till present date. Earlier, EPFO used to tell the end of year balance. However, now EPFO tells the current account status of EPF.
- The partial withdrawal from the EPF account can be also one reason of the low EPF balance. Did you take any loan from your EPF account?
The EPF may be the only retirement saving of you. Therefore, you need to protect it. Check the PF balance regularly. Transfer the EPF with the change of job and don’t try to withdraw unless it is very necessary.
In this post, I have told you about the 7 ways to check the EPF balance status. Among these 7 methods, two methods can be used without the UAN. You can learn in detail about them in my post ‘EPF Status without the UAN’. You can also learn more about the EPF through these articles.