Are you waiting for income tax refund? Is it a big sum and you are a little bit apprehensive? Do you want to know the timeline of income tax refund ? Don’t worry! Solutions is at your hand. Yes, it is possible! You can check your income tax refund status online immediately. Wait! Don’t rush to the income tax website. Do you have all the required information at hand? Do you know the procedure to check income tax refund status online? Let us learn.
Information Required to Check Refund Status Online
To check the income tax refund status you have to visit the incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in website. This is the same portal, you use to e-file your income tax return online. You have to use the same dashboard used for efiling. However, you must have following information to know the tax refund status.
- PAN – PAN is used as a user ID in the income tax e-Filing portal.
- DOB – This for the authentication. It should be given in the DD/MM/YYYY format.
- Password- You must remember your password. Since the income tax department requires a complex password, you should recall it perfectly. In case you have forgotten the password, you need to go through the lengthy procedure of password reset.
- You need to fill the CAPTCHA as well. Take care of that.
How To Check Income Tax Refund Status
1. Login at incometaxIndiaefiling portal using your PAN, DOB and password.
2. Click on the ‘My Account’. It is the second option in the blue menu bar. In the drop-down menu, click on ‘Refund/Demand Status’.
3. Now you will reach into the income tax refund status page. On this page you can see the tax refund status since financial year 2009-10.
I have shown the screenshot of my income tax refund status. There were no refund in all those years except in AY 2015-16. In the AY 2015-16 I have got the refund. The status says ‘Refund Paid’. Since it was directly credited to my account thus payment mode is ECS (Electronic Clearing System).
However, you can see any of the following term in the status column.
- Refund Processing
- Refund Processed
- Refund Sent to the bank
- Refund unpaid
If you see the status as refund unpaid, you would also get to know the reason of non payment. It would be there in next column.
The page also shows the refund payment mode. In most of the cases it would be electronically paid. To get the direct deposit of the refund in your bank account, you must give the bank account number while filing the income tax return.
That’s it. Now you would know the status of your income tax refund. The whole process does not take more than 5 minutes. Still, do you also need the phone number of income tax refund status inquiry? Yes?
The income tax department has a separate helpline number for income tax refund status related queries. The phone number is 1800 425 2229. You can call this number if you can’t get refund status online.
Besides calling to the customer care of income tax refund helpline. You can also submit your grievance online. This mode may take some time, but you would have a better answer to your query.
Also Read: Tax Slab for individuals
File Grievance for Income Tax Refund enquiry
1. Go to the ‘Helpdesk’ link. It is the last item in the blue menu bar. Choose submit grievance from the drop down menu. The other option of Grievance status would be used to track your query.
2. On the next page you have 2 options to choose, the ‘CPC’ and ‘e-Filing’. Choose the first to file a grievance of income tax refund. Click continue.
3. Now you have to give details of your income tax refund.
- Choose the assessment year to which the refund belongs.
- Choose the category of query. It should be the ‘REFUND’.
- Choose a sub category, according to your query. Click on the submit.
You can also choose ‘Others’, if given option does not match your query.
Normally it takes a week to get the answer through this mode. You can also track your grievance. To track the grievance of income tax refund status, click on the ‘Helpdesk’ –> ‘Grievance Status’.
I have tried to present the process of checking income tax refund status online. Please do add your experience and make this article rich.