The employee provident fund account is the retirement saving scheme of the organized sector employee. It is mandatory to become part of this scheme if you get less than Rs 15,000 basic salary. However, companies register all the employees for the EPF account. Once a person becomes the EPF member, he/she has to continue with it till the job lasts.
UAN is the unique number given to every EPF member. This number is attached to the member and does not change with the change of job. Becuase of the UAN, the EPF transfer, withdrawal and KYC update has become very easy. All the UAN based facilities are given to the members through the unified UAN portal.
Often, EPF corpus is the biggest saving of an employee. Thus, it is necessary to keep track of EPF account. The UAN passbook fulfills this requirement. This passbook contains all the details of your EPF contribution.
Information In the EPF UAN Passbook
Like any financial statement, the UAN passbook also gives details of credit, debit and balance. You get the following information from this passbook
- PF Member ID
- Personal Details
- Date of joining
- Establishment code
- PF office
- EPF Transfer Details
- Balance of Employee Contribution to EPF account
- Balance of Employer Contribution to EPF account
- Total EPF balance
- Monthly Contribution
- Employers contribution to EPF account
- Employee Contribution to EPF account
- Pension Contribution
How To Download UAN Passbook
You can easily download the EPF passbook from the Passbook portal. Every member with UAN can access this portal. You have to use the login and password to access the passbook. The Login ID and password is same as used in UAN member portal. Also, One time UAN activation is necessary to login.
These are the steps to see and download the EPF passbook.
- Go to the EPF passbook portal, the URL is https://passbook.epfindia.gov.in/MemberPassBook/Login.jsp
- Before login to this portal, you must have activated the UAN. You can use thos portal only after the 2 days of UAN activation.
- After the login, you reach to the EPF passbook portal
- You would see the button with your EPF account number. If you have more than one EPF account number linked with the same UAN, you would see all of them.
- Clicking on the desired button would open the PDF copy of the passbook.
- To download this passbook, you have to save the opened file.
- To save PDF file of passbook, go towards the top of document. You would see the symbol to download the file.
Reading EPF Account Passbook
Details in UAN Passbook
- The first information in the EPF passbook would be your establishment ID and PF member ID. So, you can easily know the PF member ID anytime through this passbook.
- You would see the entry of each month in the passbook. Each row shows the EPF contribution by the employee, EPF contribution by employer and pension contribution. In the above screenshot, you are seeing my statement of the year 2010. At that time pension contribution was limited to ₹541.
- The employer share would be less than the employee share because a part of the employer’s share is used for the pension account.
- The contribution amount does not change unless there is a change in your basic salary.
- The passbook also lists the pension contribution. Earlier this contribution was maximum Rs 541/month. Now it has become maximum Rs 1250/month.
- To get an idea of your retirement saving, you should also check the total balance amount. It is given at the end of passbook.
You can also see the EPF transfer details in the passbook. It would be there among entries. Go through the chronological order to find it out. In my passbook, you can see a transfer entry after August 2013. It was of my old PF account.
The EPF passbook also records the withdrawal details. You can see it after getting the money. It is also a way to check the EPF withdrawal status. You can see the EPF withdrawal amount is given in my case.
Also Read: 6 Easy steps to Withdraw PF Online
Benefits of EPF Passbook
Every member of EPF scheme must download the passbook. The tracking of passbook can avoid many problems.
- You would have the idea of EPF account balance, It would help in retirement planning.
- The EPF passbook shows whether your employer is contributing regularly or not. There are many employer which do not submit PF contribution regularly. You can also check it through the monthly updates of EPF contribution.
- You can know any error in personal details, It becomes very difficult to rectify personal details after leaving the job
- You can also know the status of your EPF transfer application.
- The PF balance is necessary to know the partial EPF withdrawal eligibility.
- You get to know whether your PF balance is earning interest or not.
- You can download your EPF passbook even after leaving the job. I have downloaded my UAN passbook even after withdrawal and no contribution for two years.
Download Passbook Through Mobile app
You can also download EPF passbook through the EPF mobile app. This app is avaibale at Google play store. The EPF mobile app is very easy to operate. You can download EPF passbook within a minute. To download passbook through tis method you must have the UAN number and linked mobile number.
So now you know how to download the UAN PF passbook. I have also told you to decode the EPF account statement. So, don’t delay, go and download the EPF passbook immediately. Now you know the benefit of EPF passbook. If you face any problem in downloading the passbook, you can conatct to EPF helpline.