Income tax department has made income tax return efiling very easy for salaried person. If you have still not tried it or you avoid technology just give it a try, within 15 minutes you will be able to file return. By this not only you will save 300-1000 rupees, but also you need not to share your earnings with anyone. Let us see how easy it is.
‘Register’ or ‘Log in’ in Income Tax Return efiling Portal
First you have to visit income tax return efiling website. The address is also easy - www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. Site may not open in chrome browser due to ‘invalid security certificate’. In that case you should try to open it in mozilla firefox or internet explorer. If You are filing your return first time you must register with your PAN number. It is a one time process, don’t hesitate it as easy as opening a facebook account.
If you have filed your return earlier through chartered accountant, he might have registered you. In that case you will not be able to register yourself as PAN is used as user ID and your CA have already used that. So simply dial to your CA and ask the password. If for any reason you can’t get password then use the ‘forgot password‘ option.
- In first case you have to answer the secret question. This one is the easiest one but if CA has set it, you will not be able to answer.
- Second mode is digital signature, most of the people don’t have this (it is costly to maintain one).
- In the third option you have to give your bank account number and previous year acknowledgment number and assessment year. You can get your acknowledgment number from intimation mail of income tax department. Your CA should have provided this. It may also happen that CA has not filled bank account number in previous year’s return. Then You can’t use this option. Also if you give everything correctly the password will be sent to the earlier provided email. It may also happen that CA has given his email address while income tax return efiling .
In my office almost everyone who has used the service of CA is facing this problem. CA has not given the password. He has given his email address in the accounts of clients. Also he did not give bank account numbers in the previous return. He has done everything to stonewall his clients if they try to file their return themselves. Earlier he used to give his address in the returns. This means that refund cheque would come to his address and he can ask a share from this.
If you have similar problem and feeling helpless? Don’t worry there is an easier alternative. Mail your details to income tax department stating your inability to log in. They will send you the new password however it will take 2-3 days.
During help in efiling of my colleague’s returns, I have found that log in is the biggest deterrent of this procedure. But again this is one time problem. Once you have password with you then there will no be any looking back.
Online Filing of Income Tax Return
After Log in you can see your own page where you can file your return, see your previous returns, and change your personal details. I will advice that check your personal details first. If CA has created your account then it is a must. Specially check your mobile number, and email address.
Now lets go ahead to e-file your return. Look at left hand upper corner of the page, there is a link for quick filing. Go through this link now you have to give only ten minutes and your efiling will be complete.
You should have these documents or details before proceeding
- Form 16
- Other income details
- Bank account number
- IFSC code
- Personal details
Now you have to click on the quick e-File ITR link.
- Choose ITR-1 if you have only salary income.
- In most of the cases assessment year would be the current financial year. If you are filing late return for one year earlier, choose the previous year as assessment year.
- There will be three option for address. If your address has not been changed recently then click on second option. You would have opportunity to verify and rectify this.
- Most of the people must not have the digital signature, then choose ‘NO’
Income Tax Efiling Status
In the next step you have to tell about your filing status.
- A18- Private company employee should choose ‘Other’ in ‘Employer Category’ column.
- A19 – You can leave tax status column, as it will change according to its calculation.
- A20- Those people who has been more than 180 days in India during last financial year should choose the Resident option in residential status column.
- A21- If you are filing your return before last date then select ‘Before due date’ else ‘After due date’
- In most cases your return should be original unless you are filing revised return for same financial year.
- If you are filing revised return then you have to give additional information about the previous return.
Tax Saving Investment/Expense Details
Taxes Paid Details
Tax Payable/Refund Status