Income Tax Return eFiling – Cakewalk for Salaried Person

By Chandrakant Mishra
Income Tax return efiling

Easy Steps of Income Tax return eFiling                                          Image Courtesy-

proline fitness

Income tax department has made income tax return efiling very easy for salaried person. If you have still not tried it or you avoid technology just give it a try, within 15 minutes you will be able to file return. By this not only you will save 300-1000 rupees, but also you need not to share your earnings with anyone. Let us see how easy it is.

‘Register’ or ‘Log in’ in Income Tax Return efiling Portal

First you have to visit income tax return efiling website. The address is also easy - Site may not open in chrome browser due to ‘invalid  security certificate’. In that case you should try to open it in mozilla firefox or internet explorer. If You are filing your return first time you must register with your PAN number. It is a one time process, don’t hesitate it as easy as opening a facebook account.

If you have filed your return earlier through chartered accountant, he might have registered you. In that case you will not be able to register yourself as PAN is used as user ID and your CA have already used that. So simply dial to your CA and ask the password. If for any reason you can’t get password then use the ‘forgot password‘ option.


income tax return efiling login

Remember your PAN is the user ID. It will give your three mode to reset your password.

  • In first case you have to answer the secret question. This one is the easiest one but if CA has set it, you will not be able to answer.
  • Second mode is  digital signature, most  of the  people don’t have this (it is costly to maintain one).
  • In the third option you have to give your bank account number and previous year acknowledgment number and assessment year. You can get your acknowledgment number from intimation mail of income tax department. Your CA should have provided this. It may also happen that CA has not filled bank account number in previous year’s return. Then You can’t use this option. Also if you give everything correctly the password will be sent to the earlier provided email. It may also happen that CA has given his email address while income tax return efiling .

In my office almost everyone who has used the service of CA is facing this problem. CA has not given the password. He has given his email address in the accounts of clients. Also he did not give bank account numbers in the previous return. He has done everything to stonewall his clients if they try to file their return themselves. Earlier he used to give his address in the returns. This means that refund cheque would come to his address and he can ask a share from this.

If you have similar problem and feeling helpless? Don’t worry there is an easier alternative. Mail your details to income tax department stating your inability to log in. They will send you the new password however it will take  2-3 days.

During help in efiling of my colleague’s returns, I have found that log in is the  biggest deterrent of this procedure.  But again this is one time problem. Once you have password with you then there will no be any looking back.

How To get password from income tax Efiling

Online Filing of Income Tax Return

After Log in you can see your own page where you can file your return, see your previous returns, and change your personal details. I will advice that check your personal details first. If CA has created your account then it is  a must. Specially check your mobile number, and email address.

Now lets go ahead to e-file your return. Look at left hand upper corner of the page, there is a link for quick filing. Go through this link now you have to give only ten minutes and your efiling will be complete.
income tax return efiling submit


You should have these documents or details before proceeding

  • Form 16
  • Other income details
  • Bank account number
  • IFSC code
  • Personal details

Now you have to click on the quick e-File ITR link.

online income tax return

  • Choose ITR-1 if you have only salary income.
  • In most of the cases assessment year would be the current financial year.  If you are filing late return for one year earlier,  choose the previous year as assessment year.
  • There will be three option for address. If your address has not been changed recently then click on second option. You would have opportunity to verify and rectify this.
  • Most of the people must not have the digital signature, then choose ‘NO’

Personal Details

After submitting you will have the ITR-1 form  before you. In this form most of your  personal detail  would be already there. you have to  only fill Sex, Country, email address, and mobile number. If your address is changed then of course change the address also.

Income Tax Efiling Status

In the next step you have to tell about your filing status.

  • A18-  Private company employee should choose ‘Other’ in ‘Employer Category’ column.
  • A19 – You can leave tax status column, as it will change according to its calculation.
  • A20- Those people who has been more than 180 days in India during last financial year should choose the Resident option in residential status column.
  • A21- If you are filing your return before last date then select ‘Before due date’ else ‘After due date’
  • In most cases your return should be original unless you are filing revised return for same financial year.
  • If you are filing revised return then you have to give additional information about the previous return.


Efiling incometax return Free

 Income Details

After filling the first page don’t forget to save the draft. In the next page you have to fill the income details and tax saving investments. So keep your form-16 handy. Keep in mind that for filing return your ‘income from salary’ is not the gross income. In Form 16 it must be under column ‘Income Chargeable Under The Head ‘Salaries’. Take that figure from form 16.


efiling INcome tax return India


If you are earning from house property or bank deposit (interest more than 10,000) then you have to fill this also. Have in mind that tax should be already paid for these other income, If not then deposit the tax online and get the details. You need to give those details with the return.
Now you have to give detail of expense or investment which are eligible for tax deductions. If you have declared all the details to your employer correctly then you should not worry, it will be on Form-16. Take the figures from form-16 and fill the return.

Tax Saving Investment/Expense Details


e-file Income Tax Return India

Taxes Paid Details

After filling your income details and deductions now you have to give the information about the tax deducted at source and advance tax if any. In this page there are three sections but if you have only salary income and TDS has been deducted for same, you have to worry about the first section only.  In your form-16 there must be the TAN number of the employer. Also check the correct name of employer in the form-16. Again you have to fill taxable salary for the year. It should be the same as column B1. Form 16 has the details of TDS. Companies normally submit TDS every quarter so there should be 4 entry of TDS. You have to give the total TDS.


income tax return efiling


If you have any other income and tax has been deducted before the payment, give details in second section. Tax deductor should give you these details as your company gives in form-16. In case you have submitted some tax yourself (for property income or interest income) then fill the third section. After this page you are almost done.

Tax Payable/Refund Status

In the next page you can see your tax details. If you are eligible  for any tax refund it will be there before Refund column. It is also possible that your company have deducted less tax for any reason then there will be tax payable amount. In this case you have to pay your remaining tax first and then e-file income tax return meanwhile save your filled form as draft. Ideally there should be zero in tax payable and refund column. 


efile income tax return

Bank Account Details

In the next section you have to give your bank account details. If you have any refund then these details become very important for speedy reimbursement. You have to also give IFSC code. Cheque leaf contains IFSC code. You can also  get if from here. Now submit it, but don’t forget to take printout of ITR-V. Sign in  the ITR-V and send it CPC Banglore. Full address will be in the ITR-V. Send ITR-V only by simple post.
With this your income tax return efiling is complete. First timer may take some time to understand and fill it, but in later years it will be definitely a cakewalk. Further you can also e-File income tax return of your acquaintances and relatives also. Still some problem? write to me.

If you enjoyed this article, Get email updates (It’s Free)

Chandrakant Mishra

Chandrakant started PlanMoneyTax Blog. He writes on Investment, Saving, Insurance, and Tax issues. Besides personal finance he has keen interest in technology and politics. Presently Chandrakant works with CNBC Awaaz.

Categorized: Tax

12 comments on “Income Tax Return eFiling – Cakewalk for Salaried Person

  1. Thanks. It really helped.
    One question : I did not take the print out of ITR-1 before submitting, is there any way I can take it now ? I did not fill ITR-V infact I did not get the get the option to select it. So what should I post now ?

    It will very helpful if you can reply the above question by tomorrow, since tomorrow is the last date to file ITR.


    • There is no need to take print of ITR-1. ITR-V would have been mailed to you also. check your inbox. You can also download it from your efiling page. Don’t Worry, You have already submitted your return before deadline. Now you have 120 days to send signed ITR-V.

  2. Hai sir,
    I have filed my returns online. I entered wrong account no my ITR status was processed .and Refund send out to banker then refund unpaid..Kindly help me please what should i do for get my Tax Returns..

    • Hello Dinesh
      You have landed yourself in some problem. I will advise if it is a small amount then don’t bother. Else you have to visit income tax office, submit an application with the affidavit after that wait for the refund. This process will take time as well as you have to spend some money also.

  3. Hi, I have 3 Queries. Would be greatful if you can help.
    1. I have 2 From-16 in the AY 13-14. the first company has considered a 80C deduction of Rs. 16164 and the 2nd company has considered a 80C of Rs.1 Lakh. Do I need to make any alteration in teh “income chargeable under the head salaries” section?
    2. I have done the quick e-return filing but have realized that i need to make a change in the total taxable income. I have not yet sent the ITR V by post. Should i file for a revised return?
    3. The TDS section of the Quick e-file is pre-filled & the although the Tax deductions (column 5) are matching with Form 26As, the column 4 (“income chargeable under the head salaries”) amounts do not match. Should I just fill from Form 16?

    Thanks again!

    • Hi Girish

      1 – You can’t claim 80C deduction more than one lakh rupees. Check if you have claimed same amount or different expense/investment in both the companies. Again when you fill the return. you have tile give your total income (from both the companies)in a financial year. Your investment deduction will be also the total amount.
      2- You should file the revised return and then send the revised ITR-V.
      3- TDS section shows your previous year details. Many times it remains same that is why it is filled. But you should go to your form 16 of both the companies and fill the details separately in two rows. As your both the companies must have different TAN and Name.


  4. I learnt today from IT website that my IT refund through SBI failed on 23.01.2014 and I discovered that this was owing to an error in bank IFSC code specified in my IT return that I e-filed. Please advise me whom to contact to rectify the error in IFSC code?

  5. Hi, I am working as full time employee with a company from feb-2013, I have some 4.2 Lac CTC.
    i also do some part time work for an indian client, i have received a total payment of around 1.5Lac from part time work directly in my account in 2013-14.
    I have also borrowed some money from friends (20 k approx) in my account.

    1) Do i need to pay tax for full time income + Part time work + borrowed money.

    2) There is no TDS for the part time work, how to mention the part time income while filling ITR?

Your Space