e-Filing income tax return is very easy for salaried individual. If you still did not try it or you avoid technology, give e-return a try. Within 15 minutes you will be able to e-file income tax return online. Now there is no need to send even ITR-V. Through the online efiling procedure not only you will save 300-1000 rupees, but also you need not to share your earnings details with anyone. Also you will get your income tax refund quickly.
Since July 2015, the income tax department has made the whole efiling process easier. Now the filing has really become online. After the Adhaar e-verification the return filing procedure has become a breeze.Let us see how to e-file income tax for salaried individual.
Step To Efile Income Tax Return
‘Register’ or ‘Log in’ Income tax India efiling Portal
To efile your income tax return there is a separate website other than the Incometaxindia.gov.in. This website is incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. Visit this website.
If You are filing your return first time you must register with your PAN number. It is a one time process, don’t hesitate it as easy as opening a facebook account.
Handling A Unique Situation
If you have filed your return earlier through chartered accountant, he might registered you. In this case you will not be able to register yourself as your CA has already used your PAN as user ID. So just dial to your CA and ask the password. If for any reason you can’t get password, use the ‘forgot password‘ option. You will seen another link to efile login through using netbanking. It is easier method of login on efiling portal. However, you must be using the netbanking.
How To Reset Your Password
- In the first case you have to answer the secret question. This one is the easiest one, but if the CA has set it, you will not be able to answer.
- The second mode is the digital signature, most of the people don’t have this (it is costly to maintain one).
- In the third option you have to go through the OTP process.
- After choosing the third option, you can ask the OTP to your registered email and mobile number.
- If someone else (read CA) has given email ID and mobile number, you can give the new email and mobile number to get the OTP. However, you have to go through another authentication process. You will get three methods to authenticate yourself.
- The TAN of income tax deductor. It should be your employer. You can get its TAN from form 16 and form 16A.
- You can also give the challan details of taxes paid.
- You can also authenticate by entering bank account number.
In my old office almost everyone who has used the service of CA went through the password reset process. Because, CA has not given the password. He has given his email address in the accounts of clients. Also, he did not give bank account numbers in the previous return. He has done everything to stonewall his clients if they try to file their return themselves. Earlier CA used to give his address on the returns. So that they can again ask some cut from the refund.
However income tax department curbed the arbitrariness of CAs. The income tax department has set limit for email ID and mobile number to be used in different accounts. Now CA will be forced to give your mobile number and email ID while filing the return. This will mean that you will get keys in your hand.
But if you can’t get your details for any reason, don’t worry, there is an easier alternative. Mail your details to income tax department stating your inability to log in. They will send you the new password however it will take 2-3 days.
During the helping to my colleague’s returns, I found that log in is the biggest deterrent of this procedure. But again this is one time problem. Once you get a password, there will not be looking back.
How To e-File Income Tax e-Return
After Log in you can see your own page where you can file your return online, see your previous returns, and change your personal details. I advise to check your personal details first. If CA has created your account, it is a must. Specially check your mobile number and email address.
Now lets go ahead to e-file the income tax return. Look at left hand upper corner of the page, there is a link for quick filing. Go through this link now, within ten minutes your efiling will be complete.
You should have these documents or details before proceeding
- Form 16
- Other income details
- All Bank account numbers
- IFSC codes
- Personal details
Now, click on the quick e-File ITR link.
- Choose ITR-1 if you have salary income.
- In most of the cases assessment year would be the current financial year. If you are filing late return for one year earlier, choose the previous year as assessment year.
- There will be three options address. If your address has not been changed recently, click on
- for second option. You will get the opportunity to verify and rectify this.
- Most of the people don’t have digital signature, then choose ‘NO’
Fill Personal Details
Income Tax Efiling Status
- A18– Private company employee should choose ‘Other’ in ‘Employer Category’ column.
- A19 – You can leave the tax status column, as it will change according to its calculation.
- A20– Those people who were more than 180 days in India during the last financial year should choose the Resident option in residential status column.
- A21– If you are filing your return before the last date, select ‘Before the due date’ else ‘After the due date’. You can file the income tax return after the date but there are many potential problems as well.
- In most cases, your return should be original unless you are filing revised return for the same financial year.
- If you are filing revised return, you should give additional information about the previous return.
Give Income Details
Tax Saving Investment/Expense Details
In this section of income tax efiling you have to fill the details of your tax saving investments. There are many tax saving options. I assume that you must have chosen some from 10 best tax saving option. Add them up and fill the total of 80C investment in one column. These 80C investment may be
- Investment in PPF account
- Investment In ELSS
- Insurance premium
- EPF deduction
- Tax saving FD
- Tuition Fees
There are some more tax saving option also. Health insurance is out of the 80C. You should fill it in column of 80D.
Taxes Paid Details
Tax Payable/Refund Status
Bank Account Details
photo credit: Jeremy Brooks