e-File Income Tax Teturn For Salaried – Step By Step Procedure

e-Filing income tax return is very easy for salaried individual. If you still did not try it or you avoid technology, give e-return a try. Within 15 minutes you will be able to e-file income tax return online. Now there is no need to send even ITR-V. Through the online efiling procedure not only you will save 300-1000 rupees, but also you need not to share your earnings details with anyone. Also you will get your income tax refund quickly.

Since July 2015, the income tax department has made the whole efiling process easier. Now the filing has really become online. After the Adhaar e-verification the return filing procedure has become a breeze.Let us see how to e-file income tax for salaried individual.

e filing Income Tax Return of AY 2016-17

e-Filing ITR-1 Procedure of AY 2015-16

e-Filing ITR-2 is Not A Big Deal

Step To Efile Income Tax Return

Income Tax E-filing Flow

‘Register’ or ‘Log in’ Income tax India  efiling Portal

To efile your income tax return there is a separate website other than the Incometaxindia.gov.in. This website is incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. Visit this website.

If You are filing your return first time you must register with your PAN number. It is a one time process, don’t hesitate it as easy as opening a facebook account.

Handling A Unique Situation

If you have filed your return earlier through chartered accountant, he might registered you. In this case you will not be able to register yourself as your CA has already used your PAN as user ID.  So just dial to your CA and ask the password. If for any reason you can’t get password, use the ‘forgot password‘ option. You will seen another link to efile login through using netbanking. It is easier method of login on efiling portal. However, you must be using the netbanking.


Login at efiliing portal


How To Reset Your Password

Remember your PAN is the user ID. It will give you three modes to reset your password.

efiling of income tax return

    1. In the first case you have to answer the secret question. This one is the easiest one, but if the CA has set it, you will not be able to answer.
    2. The second mode is  the digital signature, most  of the  people don’t have this (it is costly to maintain one).
    3. In the third option you have to go through the OTP process.
      1. After choosing the third option, you can ask the OTP to your registered email and mobile number.
      2. If someone else (read CA) has given email ID and mobile number, you can give the new email and mobile number to get the OTP. However, you have to go through another authentication process. You will get three methods to authenticate yourself.
        1. The TAN of income tax deductor. It should be your employer. You can get its TAN from form 16 and form 16A.
        2. You can also give the challan details of taxes paid.
        3. You can also authenticate by entering bank account number.

Reset efiling Password

In my old office almost everyone who has used the service of CA went through the password reset process. Because, CA has not given the password. He has given his email address in the accounts of clients. Also, he did not give bank account numbers in the previous return. He has done everything to stonewall his clients if they try to file their return themselves. Earlier CA used to give his address on the returns. So that they can again ask some cut from the refund.

However income tax department curbed the arbitrariness of CAs. The income tax department has set limit for email ID and mobile number to be used in different accounts. Now CA will be forced to give your mobile number and email ID while filing the return. This will mean that you will get keys in your hand.

But if you can’t get your details for any reason, don’t worry, there is an easier alternative. Mail your details to income tax department stating your inability to log in. They will send you the new password however it will take  2-3 days.

During the helping to my colleague’s returns, I found that log in is the  biggest deterrent of this procedure.  But again this is one time problem. Once you get a password, there will not be looking back.

How To e-File Income Tax e-Return

After Log in you can see your own page where you can file your return online, see your previous returns, and change your personal details. I advise to check your personal details first. If CA has created your account, it is  a must. Specially check your mobile number and email address.

Now lets go ahead to e-file the income tax return. Look at left hand upper corner of the page, there is a link for quick filing. Go through this link now, within ten minutes your efiling will be complete.

income tax return efiling submit


You should have these documents or details before proceeding

  • Form 16
  • Other income details
  • All Bank account numbers
  • IFSC codes
  • Personal details

Now, click on the quick e-File ITR link.

online income tax return

  • Choose ITR-1 if you have salary income.
  • In most of the cases assessment year would be the current financial year.  If you are filing late return for one year earlier,  choose the previous year as assessment year.
  • There will be three options address. If your address has not been changed recently, click on
  • for second option. You will get the opportunity to verify and rectify this.
  • Most of the people don’t have digital signature, then choose ‘NO’

Fill Personal Details

After submitting you will see ITR-1 form. In this form most of your  personal detail  would be already there. You have to  only fill Sex, Country, email address, and mobile number. If your address has changed then change the address also.

Income Tax Efiling Status

In the next step of online income tax efiling you need to tell about your filing status.

      • A18–  Private company employee should choose ‘Other’ in ‘Employer Category’ column.
      • A19 – You can leave the tax status column, as it will change according to its calculation.
      • A20– Those people who were more than 180 days in India during the  last financial year should choose the Resident option in residential status column.
      • A21– If you are filing your return before the last date, select ‘Before the due date’ else ‘After the due date’. You can file the income tax return after the date but there are many potential problems as well.
      • In most cases, your return should be original unless you are filing revised return for the same financial year.
      • If you are filing revised return, you should give additional information about the previous return.



Efiling incometax return Free

Give Income Details

After efilling the first page don’t forget to save the draft. On the next page you have to fill the income details and tax saving deductions. So keep your form-16 handy. Keep in mind that for filing income tax return your ‘income from salary’ is not the gross income. In Form 16 it must be under column ‘Income Chargeable Under The Head ‘Salaries’. Take that figure from form 16.


efiling INcome tax return India


If you are earning from house property or bank deposit (interest more than 10,000) then you have to fill this as well. For  these other income tax should be already paid.  If not, deposit the tax online and get the details. You should give those details with the return.
Now you have to give details of expense or investment which are eligible for tax deductions. If you have declared all the details to your employer correctly, you should not worry, it will be on Form-16. Take the figures from form-16 and fill the return.

Tax Saving Investment/Expense Details

In this section of income tax efiling you have to fill the details of your tax saving investments. There are many tax saving options. I assume that you must have chosen some from 10 best tax saving option. Add them up and fill the total of 80C investment in one column. These 80C investment may be


There are some more tax saving option also. Health insurance is out of the 80C. You should fill it in column of 80D.

e-file Income Tax Return India

Taxes Paid Details

After filling your income details and deductions now you should give the information about the tax deducted at source and advance tax if any. On this page there are three sections, but if you have only salary income and TDS has been deducted for same, you have to worry about the first section only.
In the SCH TDS 1, You have to fill the income and tax paid detail by the employer (s). If you switched the job in during financial year and got two FORM 16, Add another row for the second one. You can create as much rows as you have form 16.
This section may be pre-filled as tax department knows how much tax have you paid and what was the declared income. If the pre-filled value matches with your tax paid detail you can leave it untouched, else you should fill the income and tax paid details according to your form 16.
In the first column fill the TAN of employer.  In your form-16 there must be the TAN number of the employer. Also check the correct name of the employer in the form-16.
Again, you have to fill taxable salary for the year in third column. It should be the same as column B1. Form 16 has the details of TDS in first page. Companies normally submits TDS every quarter, so there should be 4 entry of TDS. You have to give the total TDS.


income tax return efiling


If you have any other income and tax has been deducted before the payment, give details in the second section. Tax deductor should give you these details as your company gives in form-16. In case you have submitted some tax yourself (for property income or interest income) then fill the third section. After this page you are almost done.

Tax Payable/Refund Status

On the next page you can see your tax details. If you are eligible for any tax refund it will be there before Refund column. It is also possible that your company have deducted less tax for any reason then there will be tax payable amount. In this case you have to pay your remaining tax first and then e-file income tax return meanwhile save your filled form as draft. Ideally, there should be zero in tax payable and refund column. 


efile income tax return

Bank Account Details

In the next section you have to give your bank account details. If you have any refund then these details become very important for speedy reimbursement. You have to also give IFSC code. Cheque leaf contains IFSC code. You can also  get if from here. Now submit it, but don’t forget to take printout of ITR-V. Sign in  the ITR-V and send it CPC Banglore. Full address will be in the ITR-V. Send ITR-V only by simple post.
With this your online income tax return efiling is complete. First timer may take some time to understand and fill it, but in later years it will be definitely a cakewalk.
If you made any mistake, file revised return again. The process of revised return is similar, only you need to choose revised return in desired column. You should also give the acknowledgment number of the original return.
Further you can also e-File income tax return of your acquaintances and relatives also. Did you find this how to efile income tax return procedure useful? Don’t forget to share it with your facebook friends, Twitter follower and Google Circles.

photo credit: Jeremy Brooks

I am the person behind this Blog. I started this blog just to share useful information. After getting overwhelming response this pastime became my passion. Job with CNBC Awaaz also helped me to explore the world of Investment, Saving, Insurance, and Tax. Now I am a full-time personal finance blogger.

  • VIjay


    I am Vijay and I am a salaried employee. In my 26AS form there is entry for TDS by bank on 20% of interest income. While filling the itr-1 form, I noticed that the same deduction was coming automatically in SCH TDS1 along with deduction by employer (as per form-16). My query is that do I need to remove/transfer this TDS entry from that section to sch TDS 2 where income from other source has to be shown. Also I haven’t received TDS certificate (Form -16A) from bank.

    Kindly guide in this regards
    Vijay Kumar

  • how to file return if not deducted any funds for self employment professional

  • c. r. panicker

    The tax filing utility , the ITR2 form downloaded by me contains two blocks in Schedule S. I have income from only one employer; the utility insists I fill up the second block also. How to deal with this problem

  • naved akhtar

    sir i m not able to find sec 24 in e return form …. can u plz tell me where is sec 24 in this

  • Arun

    Hi ,

    My father had paid his income tax through bank by making a self-assessment for AY 14-15.But income tax was deducted from his salary as well(because of TDS). So, he filed an ITR for the AY 2014-2015.But we didn’t get any returns so far.So when we checked the reason for this,we found that the income tax paid through bank was wrongly mentioned for the assessment year 2013-14 even though the actual deposit happened on Feb2014.Is there any way to file return for the AY 13-14 now? If so,how can I do it?

    Kindly help me on this.



  • antony george

    Under what section should i enter professional tax under ITR1?

  • Gururaj Kheni

    During e filing of income tax, Total tax paid is lesser than Total payable, procedure to pay difference tax amount and difference amount is around 740 INR please let me know if it is compulsory to pay difference amount

  • Vinodh

    Thanks … was lost and u helped … !!

  • hardeep brar

    IN TDS SCH TDS2 column deducted year 2015 is not an option. pls suggest

  • Bhavishya Mittal

    e-filing ITR for the first time. Do we have to post the ITR-V to the income tax office for our refund to be processed?

  • Pratik Prajapati

    Following is my concern. Pl. suggest me:

    I am salaried person. During input of data in the online tax return filling, I found that the private bank i.e. AXIS has already mentioned entry (TDS details) in the TDS2 section.

    Whether I need to show extra income from bank (as a interest on FD) or I have to removed the TDS2 entry during online filing.

    Looking forward for your immediate reply.

    Pratik Prajapati
    [email protected]

  • Lokender Gautam

    sir i filled my return on line, after it i found mistake in IT return. how can correct the return & refund amount.

  • paramesh

    While submitting tax proof I forgot to attach my HRA. Please can anyone help me to attach the HRA details during tax return.I mean while doing e-filing can I attach HRA details.If yes..Please give me the steps I need to follow..

  • Sachin

    I FILE THE RETURN online in that I got an error that only one ITR can be filed the u/s 139 (1) ..
    So please help me out for the same

  • Saurabh

    I don’t know why but I am not able to see the assessment year 2015-16 in e-filing portal.

    For filing tax returns for last financial year i.e. 2014-15, shouldn’t we select assessment year as 2015-16?

    In the assessment year drop down I can only see 2014-15 and years before that but not 2015-16. Any idea what’s going on here?

    • Brajesh Nandan Sharan

      Even i am facing the same problem.

    • Upender Dhull

      I am facing same problem too. I think everyone is facing it because its really not there.

    • Kunjamman

      Same issue, not sure what to do, We can call customer car – 1800 4250 0025 / +918026500025

      -Sreeni Puthiyillam

  • Vinod Joon

    Hello Mr. Chandrakant,

    I have a query regarding EPF CONTRIBUTION.

    Is it compulsory for the EMPLOYER to contribute in EPF irrespective of the salary of the employees?

    Actually, I m getting more than 15k per month and my employer says that as my salary is more than 15,000 SO EMPLOYER is NOT liable to make the epf contri.
    According to my employer, I have 2 choices…

    1. Neither Employees (with salary > 15000) nor the the employer make epf contri.
    2. The Employees only make both the contri I.e. (1800+1800).

    Is that ok or my employer is just misguiding and hence cheating on me?

  • Vinod Joon

    Mishra Ji,
    Its wonderfulwhat u have shown here about e FILING of ITR.
    I have understood all the steps without any doubt.
    But I have a problem that my employer didnt issue me the So called Form 16
    My TDS was deducted by my previous employer. Now I have left the job and not on a very good note. So ofcourse the previous employer wont be releasing ny Form16 now.

    So is there any other alternative option to file ITR without Form16.
    I have registered myself on e FILING website of IT dept.
    I have form 26AS with me and all other details of the employer but not Form16.

    Plz help.


    Vinod Kumar
    Mail- [email protected]

  • Chandra Prakash Singh

    Dear Sir

    My Saving for year 2014-15 was Rs. 150000 (PPF -Rs. 100000 + Tax saving FD – Rs. 50000) under 80C. When i entered Rs. 150000 in Amount column, the amount calculated by system is Rs. 100000 and getting tax benefits of Rs. 100000 only.

    What i do for getting tax benefits of Rs. 150000

    • Upender Dhull

      The assessment uear 2014-15 must have been selected by you.in Since past few days even i cant see 2015-16 assessment year. Its a problem in website.

  • prabhakara

    Why Tax Exemption Limit in ITR1 Form both in excel form and Java Utility AY2014-15 is calculating for 1 lakh instead of 1.5 lakh. Is these forms are updated ones?

  • EazyTax Returns

    Hi All,
    you can File your Income Tax returns online here. And you can even checK and Calculate your IT returns. We are Online income tax consultants in Hyderabad

  • Brigita

    Hello Sir
    I am working for a Private firm and they deduct the tax from my salary according to the tax declaration I made in the HR tool for the FY. But unfortunately we have to submit the proofs by December, so I could not provide the proofs for the LIC payments made for 4 months ie. Dec to Mar. Because of this they deducted the rest of the tax from my Jan to Mar salary. On inquiry I came to know that I can get the refund while filing the tax returns. Could you please advise where can I show the LIC payments made that is not considered while tax deduction.

  • komal

    sir , we made income tax payment a.y 12-13 its online online payment . but by mistekly we entered amt surchage coloum instead of tax coloum. so its to be creat any problem

  • Surjit Singh

    Sir, I have agri. income of more than 10000 and want to enter it into column other income for reporting purpose of ITR-1, but it says I should use form ITR-2. But ITR-2 option is not available in drop down menu available in the begining of efiling of return. Waht is the way out?

  • Nisha Jassal


    question on the role of HRA – as 80gg considers only 24000, does the total HRA paid by company need to be deducted from total salary while inputing income from salary in ITR 1 form?

    • Hi Nisha

      Please elaborate your question.


    • Krishna Kumar Chourasiya

      Calculate your HRA through online portal and mention it in under section 80GG.

  • sandeep

    Sir after printing itr v what other documents is to be send to cpc. Is there any need to send copies of saving details i.e. Saving receipt

  • suresh

    Hello Chandrakant Sir,
    First of all i would like to thank for giving valuable advise on income tax issues.
    First question is in how many days we get the refund after income tax file ?
    second : how many days take for showing tax credit in deductee 26AS after revision in 24Q form

    please guide.



  • Rhoda C. Jones
  • gursharan Kriplani

    Hello Chandrakant,
    For how many years we should keep our income tax returns. Recently I got a query from Income tax department about my return for FY 2007-2008 (regarding some credit card spending) for which I unfortunately I have not kept any back-up papers. Now I am in dilemma.

  • Ravish

    Very informative post. This helped a lot. Thank you.

  • Anirban

    Very helpful informations. I did my first time e filing of tax alone just with the help of this post. Thank you.

  • Indian

    My salary is non-taxable then where is the changes i have to done…

  • Ullas

    Hi Chandrakant,

    I am yet to file to income tax for 2014-15 as i recently got form 16. Where to enter the Home loan Interest amount i.e. Rs. 1,5 lac as i can’t find any column stating section 24.

    Also in in my form 16 i can see only Amount paid/credited & TDS deducted. There is nothing like Income Chargeable Under The Head ‘Salaries So should i simply enter that amount.

    Please guide

    • Hi Ullas
      The home loan interest is filled in the column of ‘income form house property’. Enter the value in negative.

      What type of this form 16. Income tax department has given a proforma for the form 16. Look for the head “income chargeable under the head of salaries” It should be column 6.

  • Sarita

    Hi Sir,

    I got Income tax Intimation for return of income filed by me for the Assessment Year 2014-15. According to return, I has to pay 15K.
    I have paid by Challan 280.
    But In Intimation File, in NET AMOUNT PAYABLE is showing 15.8K something,when I cross checked, came to know I have Mistakenly selected assessement year 2013-14 in challan 280.
    Please let me know how to correct it.

    • Hi Sarita
      Write a letter to the assessment officer. attach all the details.

      don’t worry It will get rectified.


  • Manikant

    Sir in my form 16 shows that i have recieved an arrear payment of Rs 126000 for the year 2012-13 and Rs 275470 for the year 2013-14. But income tax has calculated tax on whole amount.how should i claim the arrear amount during online filling?

    • Hi Manikant
      It is not clear, whether your employer deducted tax for both the arrears or it was added in income tax return.
      Did you paid tax for the earlier arrear in previous financial year?

  • shivam

    Hello sir, I did Fix deposit 9 lakh filled 15G form but TDS has been deducted around 5257 INR i am not working so how i can file ITR.

  • Chandan Kumar

    Hi sir ,
    I filled my itr 1 AY 14 15. But i have not recived refund. I think when i fill itr 1 then i fill employee type pubic sector by mistake is this issue for refund. Plz suggest me what can i do. And no any notice recived from itr department



    • Hi praksh you should fill the ITR one. Fill your job work income in ‘other income’ and rent income in the column of ‘income from house property’.


  • Rajat kumar ghosh

    thank man you made it easy now i can save my dad money

  • Naresh


    My self Naresh. I have filed my tax returns on Sep 8, 2014 and made a mistake on the total income field. Instead of putting Income Chargeable Under The Head ‘Salaries’ i have given total salary income and submitted the form. Now it is showing me to pay 1700 for the gov.

    But as per form 16 I have paid every thing and I made the mistake while adding on the returns. I requested help line to help me to resolve the issue but they told I can’t revised the returns as I filled my returns after due date.

    Guys, please could any one suggest me how to resolve this issue whether I need to file rectification request to correct the number? will that allow me to change the total number which is genuine and have the same number on my Form 16.

    Appreciate your help.


  • Pranjal

    I filed a belated return for AY 14-15 but didn’t paid the self assesment tax which was due.
    After filing the return i paid the amount. So, just wanted to ask what is the way out for updating the same so that i may not receive the 139(9) notice.

  • parkash

    have a small bussiness, and my income is under taxable, how can i file return online,
    its my first time

  • lovely

    3 months age I file a income tax for year 2014-15 by seeing a 26as form that time the 26as form shows tax Rs23472 and I got my refund but now 26as form showing tax RS47734 what should I do ???? can I refund my rest of income tax … plzzz suggest me

    • Hi Lovely
      Sorry, I can’t understand you. Can you say it again. I would be happy if you ask me in Hindi.


  • arti

    3 month ago I filled the income tax by seeing 26as form that time it shows Rs23450 and refund paid to me but now the 26as form updated and the tax convert to Rs47730 now what should I do??? can I fill refund my rest of tax ??

  • Gagan Sharma

    Thanks for this useful information, i am the first time user to fill this return self, but ur guide made it very easy for me thanks again

  • Saurabh

    Sir, i hav filed my returns for tds using ITR 4S on 31 july. But i did not declare my income from shares which i held for 4 years. Please advise me how should i go ahead and declare my long term capital gains.

  • sanjay

    Hello sir,
    i have filled income tax returns itr4 online on 14th Aug but by mistake it took submitted and my income tax deducted more than the actual tax.
    I called helpline no. but they told me you can’t file revised return and submit ITR -V , after that they will send me rectification letter.
    Plzz suggest me any other option.


    Hi , I already Filled my IT retrun ITR-V generated but not send yet.Found Tax payble as Rs40. I already epay the Tax of 40. Should i need to file Revised Return ?? Already Due date is over , can i file revise return ??should i need to send both Original or Revised Return copy or only Revised Return copy.

    • Hi Asim
      You should file revised return. Send the ITR-V of the revised return.

      Warm Reqards

  • swaps

    please provide me the date when:
    If you forgot both your registered email ID and password. What was the older option of getting access to your account in 2012 and also 2013 without otp ?
    1. During 2012 (January – June) what was the process
    2. During 2012 (July – Dec) what was the process
    3. After that period – what was the process
    Did the I.T. dept then stop sending password to unregistered email IDs ?
    What was the old process and what is the new process if you forgot both?
    When exactly did the process change?

    • Hi Swaps

      I think your questions are beyond my capability. Please contact to IT department. You can also File RTI. 🙂

  • hello sir,
    i’m trying to login for e-filling..but there is a problem,it says my user name or password is invalid but when i try”forget password” option, it says ‘PAN NOT EXIST’..and when i try ‘REGISTER’ OPTION.. then it sayes’PAN ALREADY REGISTER’….WHAT CAN I DO SIR..??

    • Hi
      Check if your pan is still active. It may b become invalid for some reason. Call to customer care.


  • Amit

    Is it possible to give other person Bank account number for credit the amount , i have filled the form and i given my father’s bank account number ?

    • Hi Amit
      Ideally you should give your account number. You can file revise return and and give your account number.


  • Anamika

    Hello sir,
    i have filled income tax returns online on 6th Aug but by mistake it took submitted and my income tax deducted more than the actual tax.
    I called helpline no. but they told me to submit ITR -V , after that they will send me rectification letter.
    Plzz suggest me any other option.

    • Hi Anamika
      You can file revised return and send ITR -V of the revised return.


  • ashish

    Hi… I paid addl. Tax on 1st aug 2014. Am I liable for penalty for 1 day?

    • Hi Ashish
      you are not liable for interest

  • megha

    hi chandrakant sir,
    i’m a salaried employee with salary amounting to 5,41,200. I have ppf and pf investments worth Rs. 41,400 ( 27,000+14,400) . I also have an FD interest income of Rs.26,762. therefore, the total taxes paid comes to Rs. 31535 of which tax payable is Rs.4840. My question is how can I save this tax. Also if I can make an investment now for the Fy 2014-15? or is it too late now? and please guide me for the future. Thanks and best regards.

    • Hi Megha
      You can’t do now for the previous financial year (2013-14). You are filing tax return for FY 2013-14. In this financial year your tax can go down by almost 20,000. To save this tax you have to invest in tax saving instruments up to 1.5 lakh (PF included). The health insurance will give you chance for additional tax saving.

      Start tax saving investment immediately.You have a big scope. Don’t take any insurance schemes except term insurance.


  • Saurabh

    Sir, i bought some shares 10 years back. I have sold them now.. Should i declare my income.?? If yes then how shall i move ahead?? Whats the paperwrk involved… Please advise

    • Hi Saurabh your profit from shares is tax Free as you sold them after 1 year. U can fill itr 4s and declare the income

      • Saurabh

        Sir, is it advisable to refrain from giving a declaration since it is tax free.

        • Hi Saurabh
          You can. But declaration will stop any further queries. IT department track every transaction. It can give you notice seeing big amount in your account without any information. 🙂


          • Saurab

            Sir, Thank you so much for taking time to reply for my queries. One last doubt which I’d like to raise is; now that I have filed my tax returns for salary on 31 th july. how can I go ahead declaring my capital gains from shares.

  • Kapil


    Can we claim Tax benefit on the principle amount of home loan for under construction flats.


  • ISK

    Hi,,i just filled my return online now.. date is showing 01 Aug 2014. Please tell me if this is acceptable ?

  • Anurag

    Hi, While filling the form online there was some amount which i had to pay and then i have paid it online got the BSR code , chalan number and etc.. Now when i am fillig all these details the amount field is read only. I believe that should be automatically filled. untill and unless the total payble amount is not zero how can i submit the form. Please suggest as today is the last day. Is the date has been extended?


    • Hi Anurag
      Sorry I am late. Also I can’t understand your problem. Did you try again?

  • Chandrashekar B

    while filing the income tax return online in incometaxindia portal it will be asking to save the draft. my question to you is how to retrieve the saved draft?

  • Subhash Chandra Pathak

    Mishraji your job for guiding people for filling tax return is obligation on us . You have cleared the tough task in a very simple way . I have got a good confidence now ,now can file the tax return of my wife and other relatives too .Thx again sir .

  • Amit

    HI chandrakant,
    I got an interest of 2k on my saving a/c from SBI and they have deduced a tax of Rs 228.This is in my 26AS also.
    Where should I put these no in online form?

  • Chetan Patil

    Hi Chandrakant,
    Where to mention HRA in ITR? if not filed previously ?
    should I mention total income(after deducting rent or should I mention it in 80GG)?

  • amit

    hi chandra,
    I filed my tax at tds. But i am confused about assessment year. Is it 2013-14 or 2014-15?
    Thanks and keep up the great work.

  • Hi Mishra,

    I have filled the tax return online, but I have done one mistake.
    Income from salary/Pension (Ensure to fill Sch TDS1) column Gross total income instead of I have filled the gross salary. Unfortunately I am submitted the form. So now tax payable amount was getting more. I need to modify the gross salary instead of Gross total income .please help me same as ASAP today is the last date to fill the filling.

    Thanks & Regards,
    Mallikarjuna M

  • Saurabh

    sir, how to declare income from long term capital gains on shares holded for 15 years. I am a govt employee. Can i file it after 31 july also.. Please advice.

    • Hi Saurabh
      You don’t need to pay long term capital gains tax on shares. You can fill your return after 31st July. Relax.

  • HI Chandrakanth
    Under sec 80D we can claim Rs 5000 for pre health check up.
    Can i claim this for me or my parents if i we DO NOT have the health Insurance ? SOme where i read that we can claim , and if so , how do i submit the Proofs ? do i need to post it with the signed ITR ?
    Similarly for 80G , i had dome some donations, how do i send the proofs to the IT dept ?

    thanks in advance,.

  • jatinder

    What a great topic embedded in simplicity. You are doing a great service. Thank you…

    • Thank Jatinder for the encouragement. I Will like if you become part of the planmoneytax. Please Choose your favorite social media. Thanks once again.

  • Trinath

    Sir i have inserted the paisa but it has inserted as rupees but i had not notice ,so how can i edit this plz reply

  • Thanks a lot sharing such beautiful information. He is helping lot of people, including me 🙂

  • Pavan


    My gross salary is included HRA, Conveyance exemption and medical exemption.. In which section i have to enter these details..
    and what should i enter in B1 entry.. Gross total income which is my Form16 or Gross salary..

    Thanks in Adavnce

  • Rajesh R

    Hi Chanra,

    I Got the below error while submitt the tax online “Only one Original ITR can be filed u/s 139(1). Please change the section and retry.

    Could you pls share what is actual mistake..?


    • Geo Jose

      You might already have submitted the ITR 1.. So this one will be a revised one.. You can select the option “revised ITR” in option A21

  • chandan kumar

    Hi sir,
    I filled the itr 1 and in employeee type i filled private sector but i working in private sector. I see in ur guide line u suggest other.
    Plz suggest me what can i do.

    • chandan kumar

      Sorry filled pubic sector but i working in private sector

  • Getting an error while updating details ubnder TDS tab
    Invalid field value for “itr.tr1IncomeDeductions.incomeFromSal”.

    Please help

    • Hi Anshita
      Please check there may be some character except digits.

  • Channa

    I have bills for LTA, I have forgot claim tax expemption from employer, Now i want claim from IT office..My question is which colom/section in e-filling i have enter the LTA amount…pls guide me..thanks in advance…

    • Hi Kesavan

      In the income column fill the aggregate from both the form 16. In the column 80 C fill whatever your real investment during the Financial year.
      In the tax details column add ome more row. fill the income and TDS from both of the form 16.


  • Rahul_tcs

    Awesome blog to provide this much clarity and help the beginners to fill returns.
    @Ramanpreet kaur: You should edit that value to equal to -Income chargeable under the head ‘salaries, in Form 16 and proceed.

  • Anand Sharma

    Dear Chandrakant,
    Very well written post – clear and with all the details. Really appreciate the time and effort people like you put into these, which helps numerous people like me!

    Thanks a lot!!!!

  • Mudit

    Hi I am reviseing my ITR 1 as i had shown one deduction for 80G in 80E.I am revising it however, i could ot see any column for mentioning original ITR 1 acknowledgment number.Please advise wher to mention this acknowledgement number



  • srujan

    Hi sir
    my name is srujan.
    i’m wrongly entered the income details by mistakely… and i’m submitted it online already. so now i want to change that details. how could i change that details?

  • Samir

    Thanks, Chandrakantji.



    • Hi
      Sorry for being late. You should fill these coulmn with your data of form 16. If it matches with your data then it is good else fill it.

  • Moumita

    According to my form 16 of assesment year 2014-2015 and e-filing site unclaimed/refund amount is RS.2090..But my mistakenly I submitted ITR form.I want to get back that refund amount.Please let me know the procedure to get back that amount.Can I again fill that form?

    • Hi Moumita
      I could not get you properly. Nevertheless, I am trying to answer. If you see and refund amount while filing online return then you will get it after few months in your account.

    • Guptesh

      In which section we should add the income from PF?

      Best Regards.

  • Kapil

    Hello Sir,

    I bought an apartment last year and the developer on my behalf paid a 1% tds on the property do I have to include that details as well when filing returns.
    If yes then where do I fill these details?

    I have the form 16B with me.


    • Hi Kapil
      You don’t need to mention it on your IT return. Since developer is getting money he should pay the tax. Government found it difficult to get the tax from developer after such purchases. Hence, government made it mandatory to Deduct tax at source. This means you the payee should cut 1% tds before the payment of house. It is not the part of your income. Rather the builder would show this TDS in his return. So don’t worry.

  • Hemant


    I am filling Quick ITR for FY 13-14, in my from 16 there is 80CCE saving 100,000 (1L), but i am not able to find 80CCE in incometaxindiaefiling, i have also consulted with tollfree, but no help, please help.


    • Hi Hemant
      Welcome to the site. Section 80CCE of IT act only says that tax saving through different investment can’t exceed more than the limit of 1.5 lakh (1 lakh for FY 13-14. Hence fill the total amount of 1 lakh in the column one that is for 80C. Go ahead.

  • Swati

    Hi Chandrakant,

    I have filed my returns even though I have 500 rupees to be paid as tax. What should I do now ? Pay my tax and e-file new returns again ? Or is there any other way around ?

    Thank You.


    • Hi Swati
      You have to pay the tax and file the revised return again. Do it fast. pay tax online.

  • Samir

    I am working in a PSU. I went in a LLTC tour in the last week of March’2014. But, I did not get the TAX benefit in Form 16, issued by my company. Now, I want to avail that benefit in IT return. Where should I enter my traveling expenses in IT return. Pls help me.

    • Hi Samir
      You can deduct it from the income from salary amount while filing the tax return. But LTA have several conditions, check for them. Your employer should mention it in the form 16. However check the limit and condition and deduct it from your taxable income. Get the tax refund. 🙂

  • Devdatta

    Hello Mr. Mishra,
    It’s a nice article explaining the ITR filing you have put. I had filed the return in previous years and find it ITR1 easy now.
    However, I have query on ITR2. I have shares of foreign company and sold them in FY13-14. Now as I understand, the gain will be calculated as of shares of unlisted company. How do we put this in ITR 2? whether it will be capital gains (LTCG) as Indian shares/asset in Schedule CG or in Schedule OS or Schedule FSI? It will be helpful if you can give the details.


  • Anil

    I am a PSU employee with taxable income > 10 lakhs. I booked a flat in 2012 for which I have paid EMI from 2012. During filling of ITR for 2013-14 I couldn’t mention that. My question is
    1. which ITR has to fill this year to claim relief against Home Loan Interest paid from April-2013 to March-2014
    2. How can I get Income tax relief against my previous year’s home loan interest?

    • Hi Anil
      In both the cases file ITR1 only. Fill the home loan interest in negative in the ‘income from house property’ column.
      You can file revised return of FY 2012-13 using the ITR1. Do you have any other query? feel free to ask.


  • D.Singh

    Hi, I have earned interest 7000 INR on saving account & 24000 INR from auto sweep FD’s. My saving account interest is less than 10000 INR, So need to mention in other income by adding with 24000 INR or donot. Please reply.

  • Ankit

    Hi Sir,
    I have some tax liability left after TDS, which form should I use to pay the self assesment tax and once I have paid it how to reflect it while filing returns so that my tax liability becomes zero while filing return.

  • While filling Tax for this year I mistakenly edited the tax deducted other than salary section, already I got the acknowledge number, how can we corrected again

  • Aniket


    I want to claim tax exemption under 80C for stamp duty charges (paid on 28th Mar 2013) , i understand there is no need to provide any supporting documents as an attachment while filing return.


  • Hello Sir,
    I have a FD income of 70K and i am under 30% slab.
    Bank has deducted tax as per 10% tax calculation
    Now I have to pay remaining 20% tax.
    1. Should I declare “income from other source” as 70k or 60 k (70- 10k (10 k is free from tax ?))
    2. I am seeing that 234B and 234C interst is applied in return calculation? Do I liable to pay this extra interst amount?
    I want to understand what is the way to get rid of this from next time. Since bank will always deduct 10% and I always need to pay the extra amount late with interst panalty?
    How should i do from next time?

    • Devdatta

      I am not tax professional but based on my knowledge and experience I will try to answer this.
      1. FD interest income is not free from tax. Only thing is bank will deduct tax if it goes above 10K, that too 10% on whole amount. (e.g. if the interest is 11K, TDS will be 1100+ed.cess.) So you will have to show full 70K as income from other source. Show the TDS amount by Bank in TDS section and remaining amount you have to pay before filing the return.
      2. As I understand, tax if more than 10K should be paid as advance tax by 15th Mar of that FY, else interest penalty is applied. Hence, you can calculate approximate interest for the year (some banks provide that details too) and pay the tax before 15th Mar.

  • Goyal M

    Hello sir,
    I have a query:
    I have 70k income from FD interest. Bank have deducted 10% tax. And I am in 30% slab.
    So now I have to pay remaining tax of 20% on this.
    So ques:
    1. Should i declare the income from other sources as 70k or 60k(70k – 10k (Up to 10K is free from tax))
    2. Also in calculation there is 234B and 234C interest is getting added automatically, Am I liable to pay interest on tax?

    • Please ignore duplicate comment.

  • Abhishek

    Dear Sir,
    Thanx for your kind step by step guidance….. I’ve a home loan and I’m not getting it what to put in deduction under section 24(b), do I’ve to put interest paid during financial year or full interest paid from the date of borrowing the loan?
    Do I need to consider tax on interest paid on my salary account or any other saving account?
    Grateful if u can guide on these doubts.


  • prince


    I have income from home tutions and house rent income only. Can you please suggest which ITR form to use? Thanks.

  • Poornima JM

    Hello Sir,

    My father is a state government employee and received gratuity amount and in his FORM 16, the gratuity amount is declared under the salary column and is income tax has been deducted from his Gratuity. Kindly let me know if we need to receive the revised form 16 or not. And how to file an income tax with gratuity received and request for refund of the income tax deducted.

    Thanks & Regards,
    Poornima JM

  • Krishna Patil


    I received form 16 A for TDS for interest on fixed deposit. The interest amount is Rs. 3500 but the tax deducted is Rs. 1400. I fail to understand why so much tax was cut even when interest doesn’t exceed Rs.10000.

    1> Can I claim a refund through ITR 1 ?

    2> If yes, then how should I fill ITR 1 so that I get the refund?

    3> Should I fill the amount of Rs.3500 in the column of income from other sources( Column B3)?


  • Selvamani

    Hi Chandrakanth,

    Thanks for your service. Actually I have a tax payable amount of Rs.2630 ; but i efiled it already thinking that i can make the payment later. now what should i do?. Thanks in advance for your reply

  • Atul Bhegade

    Hello Chandrakant Sir,

    I entered wrong Assessement year i.e 2013-2014 and now my form is in draft mode. can i delete this draft. or can i change Assessement year to 2014-2015?


    • Hi Atul
      You don’t need to delete it. If you don’t submit the form, it will not be counted. After some days it gets deleted automatically. File fresh ITR form with correct AY and submit that.

  • chandrakanth Sir,
    Wrongly without entering amounts i filed ITR I FORM and got ITRV document also.
    Now how to enter the amount and refile it pl help me in this matter,ASAP

    • Hi venkatesh
      There is nothing to worry. Take a deep breath and smile. You should again file the revised return by going through the same procedure. Only you need to choose revised in the column A23. Send the ITRV of revised return only.


  • Nidhi

    I am unable to find form 26 AS. Please suggest a workaround


    Details for TDS2 are picked up from Form 26 AS which is still more useful for those who use this efiling page. Do we have to fill the few blanks columns of TDS2 like ‘unique TDS Certificate no. deducted year.

  • Vikash Kumar

    Dear Chandrakant,

    I am a salaried employee and have self assessment tax of around 21000 for Assessment year 2014-15. I have also paid it through challan 280 via my ICICI Bank. I was wondering how can we make a reference to this challan while filling up ITR1 as there is a section to fill self assessment tax, but no place to write the details of the challan I paid.

    Please help…

    Kind Regards,
    VIkash Kumar

  • Umesh Kumar Gupta

    Hi Sir,
    Thanx for your quick reply to my query raised yesterday regarding non-deposit of tax before e-filing ITR.
    There is a few more questions on the same subject.
    1. My ITR shows that a tax of Rs 30,000/- is yet to be paid by me. My question is as to whether any interest is also required to be paid by me on and along with this amount. If yes, how to calculate the amount of interest due, to be added?
    2. How should I deposit the amount so arrived at through internet banking? Please tell me the step by step procedure.
    Kindly guide.
    Umesh Kumar Gupta

  • Surya Chandra

    Thanks Chandrakant. The article was very handy while filing my returns

    • Your welcome Surya
      Please Spread word about Planmoneytax. Do click like/follow on the social pages of Planmoneytax.



    Hi Sir,

    I have made some charitable donations during last year which was not being considered in Form-16. Also, I have a house loan which is being jointly owned by me and my father. But, total EMI payments is being done by me only. Because of this, only half of the Interest is being considered for deduction. Would like to know whether I can claim full deduction.
    So, now while filing IT-Return, do i need to attach any documents for claiming Tax refunds.


    Vara Prasad

  • Umesh Kumar Gupta

    Hi Sir,
    I have just submitted my ITR online and have received my ITR-V.
    I have made a mistake that there is some Tax yet to be paid/deposited by me, which according to your advice should have been paid first before filing the ITR online. What should I do now? Kindly guide.

    • Hi Umesh
      Now pay your tax online and file revised return . revised return is similar to fresh return only you have to choose revised in respective column.

  • Ankit

    Hi Sir,
    I have worked for 2 employers in this financial year, hence have 2 form 16 details to fill. Can you please let me know how to go about it. Thanx in advance

    • Hi Ankit

      This is not a problem. In the income from salary column you should fill the total from both the form16. For 80C value you should take the value from both the form16 and fill the total value.

      In case of TDS details you should fill the tax deduction from both the employer. In SCH TDS 1 you should fill the tax deduction detail from the first form 16. Then add another row and fill the tax deduction by the second employer. That’s it. You are done. Now you can enjoy a hot coffee in this wet weather. 


    • Swaroop

      Hi Sexy

  • Sushil Kumar

    HI Chandrakant

    I am filling e-fill for 2014-15, want to know in the second page, how to calculate , B1(Taxable salary in head salaries)

  • Ashutosh

    Dear Sir,
    I have to fill IT return for AY 2014-2015, but i got confused which form should i fill ITR1 or ITR2?
    My bank interest+ FD interest is approx. 1, 20, 000. Should I fill this value in ITR1 under “Income from other sources” and claimed the benefit of Rs. 10000 under the 80TTA. It means 1,20,000-10,000 = 1,10,000 will be net interest on which I have to pay tax? Is my approach correct?
    Please advice/

    thanks and regards

    • Hi Ashutosh

      You are absolutely right. Please Go ahead. Do you find online filing process easy?


    • Ashutosh

      Dear Sir,
      The step by step process illustrated by you is very easy and clears every doubt.
      Thank you for your advice.
      One more thing i would like to known is is the meaning of Column D22: Exempt income only for reporting purposes (if exempt income is more than 5000 use ITR2). Here what is the meaning of exempt income more than 5000. Is it include bank interest more than 5000?
      Please clarify?
      thanks and regards

      • Hi Ashutosh
        The exempted income is dividend and agriculture income. These are taxfree income. But you should report.


        • Nav

          Dear Chandrakant Mishra sir,
          Thank you for your help..
          I also have similar question.. I want to file tax return online for financial year 13-14…
          I have earned interest from bank — around 1 lac and
          tax deducted is around 10,000 Rupees..

          I want to file tax return only for this — I have nothing else.. no employment in india — no other income in india..

          In this case, which one should I use?
          1) Quick e-File ITR — online
          2) ITR 1
          3) ITR 2

          Thank you in advance…

  • Brar

    I have some confusion in filling SCH TDS1 field – “Income from Salary (3)”.

    Online utility takes the value automatically from Form 26AS in this field and it is not same as “Income Chargeable under head salary” amount from Form 16 which is

    entered in B1.
    Automatically taken figure is net taxable income.

    What value SCH TDS1 should contain?


    Item no. 6 in Form 16 i.e. Income chargeable under Head Salaries(3-5) is the amount entered in B1 field of return form.
    This amount is before Housing loan interest deductions and before deductions under chapter VIA.
    While automatically populated Salary Income in SCH TDS1 from form 26AS is net taxable income after Housing loan interest and chapter VIA deductions are subtracted.
    Income Chargeable under Head Salaries – Rs. 5,80,000 /-. This is filled in B1.

    Deductions under chapter VIA Rs. 1,00,000 / –
    Net Taxable income Rs. 4,74,000 /-

    Now B1 value is Rs. 5,80,000/-
    I see that automatic value picked from Form 26AS is Rs. 4,74,000 /- in SCH TDS1 income column.

    What value SCH TDS1 should contain? I have spoken to an executive at TPRS helpline 1800-10-23738 and he suggested me not to change to automatically picked up value. I am confused now.

    What value SCH TDS1 should contain?

    Thanks and Regards

    • Hi Brar

      Indeed this is small thing. The value it picks automatically is the ‘income from salaries’ of the previous return. You have to change it with increased salary (Yes, Salary must have increased 🙂 ). Similarly the forth column also takes the value from the previous return. Change it with the latest total TDS. Now you will see everything goes right.You can check it with previous return.

      Chandrakant Mishra

      • Brar

        Sir, I have checked my previous return. This value does not match with the value in same column of previous return. This value is from 26AS of AY-2014-15 (i.e. Value after subtracting ‘Deductions under chapter VI-A’ from ‘Income under head salaries’)

        • Ok Brar Sahab

          This section is to be filled by you. Take your form 16 or TDS challan. search for the taxes paid and the taxable income. Fill them in column. That is it.

  • amit


    I am filing return of this year, where should i put rent amount in investment

    • Hi Amit
      Let me explain the rent exemption in detail.

      Your expense on the rent is because of the job. If you don’t have the job you might live in your own house. Therefore you can deduct rent portion from the salary before producing it for taxation.
      But this deduction can’t be arbitrary. Your employer earmarks some portion of the salary for rent payment. This portion of the salary is called HRA (house rent allowance).

      Again, you can’t claim whole of the HRA for the deduction. There is a formula for considering rent deduction from the salary. This would be minimum of the following three options:
      Actual house rent allowance received from your employer
      Actual house rent paid by you minus 10% of your basic salary
      50% of your basic salary if you live in a metro or 40% of your basic salary if you live in a non-metro
      Now what you have to do?
      If you are salaried person and have the form 16, forget about the rent exemption. In the form 16 the company puts taxable income after deducting all the exemptions. you have to fill the taxable income in the ITR 1.


      • Ramchandra Sankhla

        By calculations, It seams that there is some amount of rent I can ask for tax exemption. I am salaried person and have form 16. Why I cant ask of rent exemption ? Is there no way to file it.

  • Poo

    Hi i would like to know whether saving bank
    account interest under section 80 TTA is applicable to salaried tax slab above 5 Lakhs?

    • Yes, it is applicable for tax slab above 5 lakhs.


    • Hi Rajbir
      Don’t worry, If you have paid all taxes fairly then you should remain tension free. Write a registered letter to your assessment officer giving all the details and tell him about your employment.
      Also Do you have any other income in any previous year. It may happen that you have paid tax late in any previous year.

  • Pankaj Hotwani


    While filing the returns online, I went in “Quick e-File ITR” and selected “ITR-1” as the form name but when I tried to fill the income details under “Income Details” tab, I found that there are no fields available online to enter deduction fields related to Section 10 like Allowance, Medical Reimbursement, LTA, etc. I am stuck because of this since last 2 days and even tried to get help from the customer care of https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in but got no help. Can you help me on how can I put the information related to Section 10 allowances? May be I am missing something here.

    Looking to get your views on this.

    Pankaj H.

    • Hi Pankaj
      Do you have Form 16 with you. If not you should get that. In the form 16 go the head ” income chargeable under the head of salaries’. It should be section 6. In this section the specified amount is after the considering those exemptions. Hence you have not to worry for that.
      If you have any further query please feel free to ask.

      Like planmoneytax facebook page

      • Pankaj Hotwani

        Thanks Chandrakant for your prompt reply. This clears my confusion!

  • Nanthakumar

    I am a govt. employee.I did not pay advance tax for 2013-2014 i.e up to 15th Sep. and 15th Dec2013. But paid advance tax Rs.10300 in Jan2014. My TDS was Rs.20009. While efile my return, in prepare and submit online return, I entered all details. The Total tax payable is shown correctly as 20009 as in form 16. After that it populated amounts in interest payable U/S 234B and 234C as 600 and 730 respectively. But I have corrected to zero as it is editable. Is my action correct or not?. if I submit efile, will it be correct at this stage? or will it attract the sections U/C 234B and 234C and get notified by ITD. What should i do? whether I have to pay Int.payable u/s 234b and 234c before e filing? then How to calculate them ? and How to Pay online?

  • Nehal

    My annual salary is 3.5lakh and i got my form 16 from my company. Other than income i got 2000Rs from dividend of mutual fund and other stocks.
    I have to file my ITR 1, but i am not sure in which section should i put dividend amount in ITR-1 form.

    • Hi Nehal

      Under the ‘taxes paid and verification’ tab go to the D22 section and fill your dividend income there. This income is not taxable.


    • Hi Mohsin
      Good news for you. You can mention your investment in the income tax return. You must show all of your 80C expenses whether it is in the form 16. You will get the refund of tax. Keep the receipt safe with you. IT department can ask for verification.

      I am more concerned about the premium of 1 lakh for the LIC. What is your objective of this? You may loose money.

      Term Plan In Life Insurance- An Ultimate Guide For Selection

  • Rohit

    Hi Chandrakant,

    I Filled ITR for AY 2014-2015. After filling ITR i come to know that amount of medical exmption (Rs 5036) is not considered in form 16 for exemption under section 10. 16. Please let me know what i should do.

    • Hi Rohit
      You can file revised return including medical exemption. Fill again the return as i have told.After column 21 there is column where you have to choose the revised instead of orginal. In column 23 give details of your previous faulty return. also You have to fill the medical exemption. All other process remais remain same.


  • M Jason

    I filled in the Income details as per the Form 16 that I received from my employer. But D9 to D11 (Total Interest u/s 234A, 234B, 234C) were automatically populated with values hence Total Tax & Interest differs from what I have in Form 16 to what the system generated. I have the option to change the values for D9 to D11. Should I make them as Zero and proceed? Request you to let me know how to proceed further. Thanks in advance.

    • Sujoy

      Hi Jason,
      Once you have filled in your TDS part, these fields will be automatically adjusted and set to zero

  • ChandraKant Upadhyay

    I filed my ITR for FY-13-14 online. I got some interest( more than 10,000) on SB account which I declared under 80TTA and under other source income. While pay self assessment tax, I just chose a wrong Challan,instead of INCOME-TAX (OTHER THAN COMPANIES) challan no. 280, I paid it through 282( Interest tax). Now, after 10 months, I have received a notice for IT department under section 143 saying your ITR is not matching please pay the deficient amount(my self paid tax is not considered, instead, the same is demanded). However, the notice does say that amount X is miss matching under 300 major head and 24 minor head.
    Please advice me what should I do to change the minor and major heads rectified to 300 and 21( non-companies).

    Warm Regards
    Chandra Kant Upadhyay

    • Hi Chandrakant
      हवन करते हाथ जल गए!

      Now your redress authority is the assessing officer of income tax department. It is better to give a reply of your notice, apologizing for your inadvertent mistake. Attach proof of of your tax payment as well. The application will do the job, don’t worry.

      Like Facebook page of planmoneytax

  • Nishant

    Hi, I am working as full time employee with a company from feb-2013, I have some 4.2 Lac CTC.
    i also do some part time work for an indian client, i have received a total payment of around 1.5Lac from part time work directly in my account in 2013-14.
    I have also borrowed some money from friends (20 k approx) in my account.

    1) Do i need to pay tax for full time income + Part time work + borrowed money.

    2) There is no TDS for the part time work, how to mention the part time income while filling ITR?

  • S Natraj

    I learnt today from IT website that my IT refund through SBI failed on 23.01.2014 and I discovered that this was owing to an error in bank IFSC code specified in my IT return that I e-filed. Please advise me whom to contact to rectify the error in IFSC code?

    • Hi Natraj
      Please login to IT efiling portal. Go to my accounts and select refund reissue. you can change your IFSC code there.
      Refund Bank detail rectification

  • Rajunanda


    I would like to thank you.
    I try it for the first time and its work.
    Your step by step snap shots really help.

  • raman kumar

    i filing my income tax return . how we get e filing password if i not a register person .

  • Girish

    Hi, I have 3 Queries. Would be greatful if you can help.
    1. I have 2 From-16 in the AY 13-14. the first company has considered a 80C deduction of Rs. 16164 and the 2nd company has considered a 80C of Rs.1 Lakh. Do I need to make any alteration in teh “income chargeable under the head salaries” section?
    2. I have done the quick e-return filing but have realized that i need to make a change in the total taxable income. I have not yet sent the ITR V by post. Should i file for a revised return?
    3. The TDS section of the Quick e-file is pre-filled & the although the Tax deductions (column 5) are matching with Form 26As, the column 4 (“income chargeable under the head salaries”) amounts do not match. Should I just fill from Form 16?

    Thanks again!

    • Chandrakant Mishra

      Hi Girish

      1 – You can’t claim 80C deduction more than one lakh rupees. Check if you have claimed same amount or different expense/investment in both the companies. Again when you fill the return. you have tile give your total income (from both the companies)in a financial year. Your investment deduction will be also the total amount.
      2- You should file the revised return and then send the revised ITR-V.
      3- TDS section shows your previous year details. Many times it remains same that is why it is filled. But you should go to your form 16 of both the companies and fill the details separately in two rows. As your both the companies must have different TAN and Name.


  • Dinesh

    Hai sir,
    I have filed my returns online. I entered wrong account no my ITR status was processed .and Refund send out to banker then refund unpaid..Kindly help me please what should i do for get my Tax Returns..

    • Chandrakant Mishra

      Hello Dinesh
      You have landed yourself in some problem. I will advise if it is a small amount then don’t bother. Else you have to visit income tax office, submit an application with the affidavit after that wait for the refund. This process will take time as well as you have to spend some money also.

  • Anonymous

    Got it. Thanks mate.

  • Ashish Singhi

    Thanks. It really helped.
    One question : I did not take the print out of ITR-1 before submitting, is there any way I can take it now ? I did not fill ITR-V infact I did not get the get the option to select it. So what should I post now ?

    It will very helpful if you can reply the above question by tomorrow, since tomorrow is the last date to file ITR.


    • Chandrakant Mishra

      There is no need to take print of ITR-1. ITR-V would have been mailed to you also. check your inbox. You can also download it from your efiling page. Don’t Worry, You have already submitted your return before deadline. Now you have 120 days to send signed ITR-V.